Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Titanium soldering clamps update

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    It is a pretty hard metal and even if heavy duty shears succeed, the results will be twisted. A piecing saw is the tool of choice. Dennis.
    I've cut Titanium sheet before using the shears but I must confess it wasn't a thin slice like this so you're right - it would probably curl up which is something I hadn't considered. Failing that the angle grinder makes pretty sparks on Titanium although probably a bit much for thin sheet!

I just checked and Cooksons have now increased their price for the Knew concepts titanium strips and they are now out of stock. H.S.Walsh also sell them.

I have been making these types of soldering clamps for decades now, before I was introduced to using titanium I used stainless steel sheet to make them. If you check the Knewconcepts website;http://knewconcepts.com/TitaniumClamps.php you will see that they got the idea for soldering clamps from me, it was Lee Marshall that suggested using titanium strips for the clamps, he sent me some, I tried them and was impressed with the results when using them.

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 15-02-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Back in stock today at Cooksons, I've just ordered a set this afternoon.

An alternative to titanium clamps, soldering tweezers set, not quite as good but requires no work with saw or angle grinder
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...ers&channel=uk
    Last edited by Sheen; 28-02-2018 at 10:26 PM.

They are a alternative but at a similar price the titanium is much more versatile

I'm not sure I've ever successfully managed to use my third hand, it's never quite at the correct angle or in the right place if you've got something quite complicated. I usually wire everything up so can't wait on the strips to arrive. They were ordered with my prize when out of stock as a back order, no doubt they'll make me pay the new price

Thats funny Caroline as it just shows how we are all so individual- I use mine all the time and never wire anything up.
    I use gravity a lot too actually.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Thats funny Caroline as it just shows how we are all so individual- I use mine all the time and never wire anything up.
    I use gravity a lot too actually.
    We were taught to binding wire everything, I don't remember third hands in the dept. I use gravity a lot as I've got lazier with age and everything sits on a zig zag of heavy binding wire to lift it of the brick.

Mine arrived today and I've wasted no time in trying them out for the first time this afternoon - they're brilliant! Easy to bend into the right shape and worked perfectly to hold my components in place from start to finish.