Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Lampwork sales

Reads with interest!

xx
    Jules

Having recently watched Geti's video of a ring being machined with rapped attention - I think you beadmakers need to make some stunning professional videos of lampworkers making some glorious beads!

I should imagine it would be a logistical and insurance nightmare taking a full lampworking set up round shows - but you know how crowds gather when demonstrations are being given! So - go for the next best thing! Imagine having a sumptuous video showing complex lampwork beads being made...wouldn't that be a crowd puller!! You'd have a constant crowd gathered around your stall!!

Well, Geti?? What do you think? Make a video/videos....and sell copies to lampworkers to help them spread the word about the skill involved in making lampwork beads! (I want my cut, please!!) And you can use it/them on your new site too!!

That's a good idea. I've often thought about a video of me working but I don't have the right equipment and would imagine it would be very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    That's a good idea. I've often thought about a video of me working but I don't have the right equipment and would imagine it would be very expensive.
    Why do you think I aimed it at Geti!!

Nice little money spinner for him...(and I get my cut!!) And people get something to help them sell their stuff!!

Already happened Barbara Sally Carver (red hot sal) has just produced her second beadmaking DVD.

There's also going to be a dvd available of the amazing demos done at the Flame Off every year.

There are also regular lampworking demos at bead fairs.

Damn!! There goes my nice little earner!!

i still think its a good idea to have a videa on the stall, not only for the lampworkers themselves, but also for those of us that use lampwork beads, to help people have a better understanding of why the jewellery incorporating such items, can sometimes be the price they are.
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

I usually stay away from this subject on lampworking forums as they can get very heated but I will try to be brave here and give you my opinion (in my awkward English).

The question was :"does the general public see the difference between beautiful handmade beads and mass-produced ones?"

All lampwork beads are handmade (whether it's in China, India or America) and I think that the keyword is mass-produced because even in the UK, some lampworkers tend to go in 'mass production'. They make a lot of simple little beads for volume and I think that the fact that their beads are simple and fast to make is usually reflected in the price. These beads are usually cleaned and annealed (which means that they should not crack) and often have a better finish.

There are other lampworkers who spend a lot of time and efforts on designing and experimenting with the glass and come up with some very artistic beads (one bead can take hours to complete as opposed to minutes for the beads mentioned above). These are usually the expensive beads.

Below is a picture of my collection of beads from various beadmakers:

I think that they look very different from mass-produced beads and I can also appreciate that they only present an interest to a certain type of jewellers.

Anyway, all that to say that it's probably important to let people know how we make our beads but that if they don't see a difference between cheap beads and more expensive beads then they won't spend their money and that is quite natural.

All beads have their place on the market, it is just not the same people that will buy them.

Sorry for the waffle and I hope you understand what I mean.
    Last edited by Annelyse; 19-11-2009 at 11:09 AM.

Wish my French was as good as your English, Annelyse. Well put
    Di x

and what a lovely collection xx