Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revolving stand recommendations

Default Revolving stand recommendations

I would really like a revolving stand for soldering and I bought the black budget version from Cookson's, which I had to return. It didn't spin smoothly and kept flicking back to the starting position if I let go, so does anyone have one that they can recommend? I don't want to have to return another one.
    Thanks so much

I'm the queen of cheap so feel free to not take my advice, but I bought a Lazy Susan bearing, the part that does the turning, for around £3 on ebay. I put a round tin lid from a charity shop on top - it has a diameter of 7" - and once there's a spare bench block inside and then a soldering block on top of that I find it's heavy enough to be stable and I can spin it with no fear of causing myself any harm. It could equally be filled with pumice or I can use whatever block suits the job in hand. Before I was given the spare bench block I used to use a soldering block alone and that in itself was heavy enough to sufficiently weight it down but I do try and be a bit safely conscious

Ooh, that sounds interesting. I'm going to go on Ebay now and take a look. Thanks. That's a great idea!

I do think there's a lot of marketing around what's necessary, once you add the word jewellery to a search the price goes up hugely.

Yep that's the way to go, I have made several over the years

I’ve ordered one on eBay so thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Susie View Post
    I’ve ordered one on eBay so thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by misspond View Post
    I'm the queen of cheap so feel free to not take my advice, but I bought a Lazy Susan bearing, the part that does the turning, for around £3 on ebay. I put a round tin lid from a charity shop on top - it has a diameter of 7" - and once there's a spare bench block inside and then a soldering block on top of that I find it's heavy enough to be stable and I can spin it with no fear of causing myself any harm. It could equally be filled with pumice or I can use whatever block suits the job in hand. Before I was given the spare bench block I used to use a soldering block alone and that in itself was heavy enough to sufficiently weight it down but I do try and be a bit safely conscious
    Sorry to be so dim MissP but what is a bench block?
    Nick

Ah well, as I'm here I might as well jump in. A bench block is a heavy steel plate, normally used for hammering on.

https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...cks&channel=uk.

For its more common use it is put on a sand bag, thick folded cloth, or blanket to dampen the noise. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Susie View Post
    I would really like a revolving stand for soldering and I bought the black budget version from Cookson's, which I had to return. It didn't spin smoothly and kept flicking back to the starting position if I let go, so does anyone have one that they can recommend? I don't want to have to return another one.
    Thanks so much
    Susie, If you don't feel like improvising, you could go for an inexpensive version from Walsh: https://www.hswalsh.com/categories/r...stands-hearths Dennis.