Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Piercing?

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Just read that again slowly, am I correct in the interpretation please. If you wrote a zero in the middle of a piece of paper as:-

Finest .................................................. .................................................. ...................Coarsest

8/0 7/0 6/0 5/0 4/0 3/0 2/0 1/0 0 then 1 2 3 4 5 6

are 1 - 6 the same length as the others, just coarser blades and possibly a bit thicker. I have some zero ones that you recommended to saw the stainless steel to make the clamps with. The 2/0 blades that I have seem quite a lot finer than the ones I have been using (the ones I inherited from a lady that stopped making silver jewellery, but hers were a lot chunkier than mine, most of her rings are 2.50mm thick or more, most of them pierced with a design.

Yes Pat the No.8/0 is the finest and the No.6 is the coarsest. During my 51 years career I have pieced most shapes and sizes and have never used a saw blade thicker than a No.3.
    One tip about saw blade sizes is that you can saw most thicknesses with many size saws, sometimes I will pierce large shapes using a thick saw and then tidy up the sharp internal angles with a smaller blade. Using too small a blade lengthens the piercing time and the blade can sometimes fail to saw straight.

James

Well I still think its a stupid way of sizing something, but glad you have explained it as at least now I know what I should be using. Thanks for explaining it.

I've always used 4/0 for everything. Mostly piercing but also for cutting wire too. I only use snips for cutting solder pallions. I suppose it's what you get used to and I find it quicker to use the saw than swap to something else.

This piece ( approx 1") has the closest lines I've ever done just about the thickness of the blade(or a smidge more) in places.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pendant 53 red.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	4859

Thank you for the details of the orchid egg James. Gold weight is eye-watering !
    Last edited by Anna Wales; 15-06-2013 at 04:55 PM.

That's really good work Anna.

That's beautiful Anna. How thick was the silver sheet?

Susie

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    That's really good work Anna.
    Thanks Carole. I think I was just playing silly beggars and wanted to see how close I could get the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    That's beautiful Anna. How thick was the silver sheet?

Susie
    Thanks Susie. It was made out of 2 layers of 14 gauge sheet ( not sure of the metric size) one for the pattern and one as the backing plate to allow me to enamel it. It looks nice with royal blue enamel.

Anna that is beautiful, even if I could do something like that, my patience would run out after the first cut. How do you start a design like that, and how do you know where to start your pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Anna that is beautiful, even if I could do something like that, my patience would run out after the first cut. How do you start a design like that, and how do you know where to start your pattern.
    Thank you Pat. It's not my design, it's from a very similar one from the Book of Kells. Most of my designs come from old knotwork panels, standing crosses etc.

Its still very clever stuff.

Anna, do you also make those lovely felted pieces?