Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jewelers saw blade (dumb question, really)

Wink Jewelers saw blade (dumb question, really)

So, this is a really, REALLY stupid question...but I'm a brand spankin NOOB...

So, I ordered a jeweler's saw. I've never used one. It came with 6 blades of graded sizes.

SOOO...I dont know if I got 6 blades or 6 BUNDLES of blades. Each 'blade' appears to be a bunch of fibers, with a larger fiber wrapped spirally around them. I AM able to pull the individual fibers out of the bundle, but theyre (apparently) way to thin to be useful.

So...is each bundle ONE blade or a bunch of blades that should be pulled out of the spiral wrap for use?

No laughing

this is a guess I'd say you have six different sizes, probably 10 blades in each bundle,you can just pull one blade at a time out although the others will then generally be loose and fall out, most find some type of small tube to keep them in I use 20mm electrical conduit, they are fine and need to be to do fine work.Take you time they break very regularly when you first start out, you will soon get hang of it and they will last long enough to actually get blunt.

These are what piercing saw blades should look like, these are size 0. and size 3/0. These packs are gross packs, 12 bundles of 12 saw blades in each.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	450 Glardon Vallorbe 0 size blades.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	9955 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	451 Glardon Vallorbe 3-0 size blades.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	9956

To saw you must fit single blades in the saw frame with the cutting teeth facing forward and pointing down towards the saw's handle.

James

Hi all
    A side question to this one, what do other jewellers keep their blades in? I would like to keep mine in some slim plastic tubes but am having problems finding such item.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David_Amos View Post
    Hi all
    A side question to this one, what do other jewellers keep their blades in? I would like to keep mine in some slim plastic tubes but am having problems finding such item.

David
    I keep mine in ziplock bags clearly labelled and segregated. That way I'm always sure what blade I'm reaching for. If you insist on open access, you can try Bic biro bodies minus their guts glued together in a clump and stood upright in a suitable jar. Beware of upsetting the jar and jumbling the contents.

Paintball tubes.

I have a printed rack for them too

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tubes.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	9957

I use plastic 6 inch test tubes with white tops from amazon -pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Paintball tubes.

I have a printed rack for them too
    That's less a storage solution and more an art "installation".

I drilled several holes in my workbench about 1.5 inches deep in a line where I place different sizes into. That way when I break a blade, there is always another to quickly grab, replace and continue.

I recommend paying the extra for for a quality blade as the economy versions break easier and are harder to use when learning. When you are learning it can be frustrating. The 3/0 is a good versatile size for most sawing jobs. I also like to have larger blades and smaller ones for specific situations but use the 3/0 for 90% of my sawing.

Press your saw in between your chest and the bench to compress it then tighten the blade. When you let go, it will release and tighten the blade with the expanding frame. Give it a pluck like a guitar string to learn the correct sound of optimum tension with a 3/0. Too tight, it will break easy and too loose will be inefficient.

Some burr life lubricant http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-998-021 can make things easier. I also use it to lubricate burrs and wire when drawing through a die.

Learn to be aware of "side pressure" when learning to saw. You can think you are pressing forward without realizing side pressure will cause your trajectory to go diagonal. Once you are aware if it, you can keep it in check.

Good luck.

Ohh! Like that idea.