Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Sawing problems from a new member~please feel free to answer

Thanks so much Peter. OMG James, that is breathtaking! It is truly awe inspiring. Every time I see something amazing on the forum all I can think is 'so little time - so much to do' I really wish I had come to this sooner (I started classes about 2 and half years ago), how I wish I had studied this subject or got an apprenticeship when I was young. Although, there is a lot to be said for doing this as a hobby, spending time on only the things that interest you and only doing the things you want to do - with no pressures from outside or restrictions to work under - apart from cost ofcourse.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    May I suggest that you try some piercing this way, when you pierce a flat item correctly you use your free hand's fingers to manipulate the piece on the bench peg, the V in the peg has about half an inch of free space to saw within and when you have sawn across the V you move the item across the peg so that you have some more free space. When I said that I pierce with the frame at right angles to my eyeline, this was for simple cutting outlines on flat sheet. Some jobs will require you to be able to pierce in all directions, I have even had to insert a saw blade facing backwards in the frame for some jobs. Some items that I have pierced have been shaped like bowls or egg shells and I have had to hold them beneath my bench peg to secure while piercing their intricate designs. If you pierce correctly there should be no forward force, only a downward force while cutting.

James
    Thanks for the clarification.
    I do do most of my sawing and piercing inside the V notch now. The support you get on both sides of a piece makes it the sensible option in many cases.

I hear what you're saying about inserting the blade backwards occasionally. I thought about doing that once myself on a piercing job, but told myself I was just being cranky and should learn to do it with the blade the normal way round.

Being able to see the cut line properly makes all the difference, I find. Having clearly marked lines helps, of course, but I haven't yet worked out an efficient way of clearing the chips that accumulate in front of the blade and obscure your view of what's ahead. I usually blow them away, but most of the time the distance my mouth is away from the piece means I have to blow quite hard. Maybe I should hold a drinking straw between my lips and blow through that.

Peter, I've had a look at the sawing exercises in Brepohl (p.184); those parallel lines would be sure to find out any weaknesses. One other thing he suggests (on p.235) is lettering, which I agree is a good exercise, and I've done a few name pendants in silver sheet with reasonable success. Incidentally, on p.186 he illustrates a (not very appealing) pierced silver book cover his father did in 1939. Is anyone doing pierced book covers today? The only silver book covers being produced that I know of are those of Rod Kelly, though piercing is not involved there.

Mark.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	546621_10150648410672763_325502870_n.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	8539
    Not piercing, but this guy, Fabrizio Acquafresca, does book covers......repousse,.....in gold and silver.....he provided the cover for the personal copy of the bible for Pope Francis.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    Is anyone doing pierced book covers today?
    Dennis, maybe that's the answer for your next bit of book making - http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7601 - you did a nice job of your Post-it note holder but said it was less satisfying than metal work...

Kay, you started a great thread here! I'm sure lots of us are learning from this one.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    Dennis, maybe that's the answer for your next bit of book making - http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7601 - you did a nice job of your Post-it note holder but said it was less satisfying than metal work...Alan
    Yes, but imagine carrying that in your briefcase, Alan,and when you open it: Post Its.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes, but imagine carrying that in your briefcase, Alan,and when you open it: Post Its.
    That's the way to be flash, Dennis. The Sultan of Oman knows all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post

Name:	546621_10150648410672763_325502870_n.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	8539
    Not piercing, but this guy, Fabrizio Acquafresca, does book covers......repousse,.....in gold and silver.....he provided the cover for the personal copy of the bible for Pope Francis.
    Thanks for posting that, Tabby.
    There's a similar one actually on sale here at the moment.

Name:	silver book cover.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	8540

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    May I suggest that you try some piercing this way, when you pierce a flat item correctly you use your free hand's fingers to manipulate the piece on the bench peg, the V in the peg has about half an inch of free space to saw within and when you have sawn across the V you move the item across the peg so that you have some more free space. When I said that I pierce with the frame at right angles to my eyeline, this was for simple cutting outlines on flat sheet. Some jobs will require you to be able to pierce in all directions, I have even had to insert a saw blade facing backwards in the frame for some jobs. Some items that I have pierced have been shaped like bowls or egg shells and I have had to hold them beneath my bench peg to secure while piercing their intricate designs. If you pierce correctly there should be no forward force, only a downward force while cutting.

This was me piercing an egg shell 35 years ago.
    Attachment 8536

James
    Thanks James I really admire your work but it makes me realise I don't have enough years of life left to learn what I want to learn!
    That said I notice from you photo that you place your bench peg horizontal face upwards as do I. I have seen that others use the peg with the sloping face upwards. Is there a correct way or is it just whatever suits the individual or the job?
    Tim

I think James will say: flat for piercing and sloping for filing. Some set ups have the facility to invert the peg. It should also have a V-shaped notch.

In the college I attend, they have both for each student. The piercing one is secured by only one screw, so that it can be pushed out of the way. That is a thorough nuisance, because it is not stable enough for serious piercing and accounts for broken blades . Dennis.

Yes Tim as Dennis said, re bench peg position, I have the flat surface of my bench peg facing up for piercing and most jobs, I only use the sloping side when I am doing a lot of large file filing, for needle filing I leave the flat side up as I have small filing areas cut into the front of my peg.

This is my current piercing bench peg;

Name:	38- Hammers and tools.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	8544

James