Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I probably need to man up

Smile I probably need to man up

Does anyone else find promoting their work difficult because it feels like showing off...or is that just me?
    I'm not talking about whipping out a piece whenever there's a lull in the conversation but just, for instance, putting things on my Facebook business page or going to a craft fair. It's a dilemma because I do want to sell my stuff and in order to do that have to put it out there.
    Would be interested to know if anyone else has felt like this and the thoughts that helped them overcome it.
    Please be gentle...if you think I am pathetic I would rather not know thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Does anyone else find promoting their work difficult because it feels like showing off...or is that just me?
    Yup. I'm not good at proactively selling - I tend to feel it's too in-your-face and don't much like it when I see people leap on a possible customer (even worse if I've been carefully sounding them out before someone else barges into the conversation...!). Part of it is down to imposter syndrome.

I confess I had to google imposter syndrome...interesting!
    Leaping would be way out of my comfort zone - I don't like being leapt on either.

I find it really difficult too but I do an Open Studio every year so if you invite 300 people into your home you have to be able to sell yourself to a certain extent. I've just had to write my blurb for a new gallery I'm going into, although it's small I'm the only jeweller. I find it hard to tell people how beautiful, and well made and finished it is but in the end no-one else is going to, I think it sounds arrogant but then we are all a bit insecure and unsure of our capabilities or is that just me

No, not just you Caroline.
    I seem to have an inbuilt horror of being thought ''showing off''.
    Your work is lovely!

Thanks Lily, not being able to show off is a bit of a problem if you are making jewellery, you can be a shrinking violet if you are a painter I suppose. There is this great thing about giving your pieces names which I find very difficult. At one OS I had named a piece Eclipse as that was where my inspiration had come from, sort of:/ and this man said why did you call it that, so I told him and he said but it isn't is it?? You can't win and it's always an anecdote to pass on

The best salesman I ever knew said it wasn't selling it was allowing people to buy. You don't have to - and indeed it often doesn't work at all - 'sell' like a double glazing salesman at the door. Know your product, be enthusiastic about the materials and techniques and get the price right and sales will happen.
    For example, at a craft fair be standing, don't sit down and hide behind the stand and a newspaper because it looks as if you really can't be bothered. But don't leap on everyone as they go past. Eye contact and a smile so they know you know they are alive, then if they are interested they will talk.
    Be aware also of those who tour round like the queen chatting to everyone. They are just time wasters and while they are monopolising you a real customer is getting fed up and walking off
    Last edited by pearlescence; 15-07-2016 at 03:27 PM.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Oh dear Caroline Guess you can't please all of the people all of the time.
    Think that answers my question.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    The best salesman I ever knew said it wasn't selling it was allowing people to buy. You don't have to - and indeed it often doesn't work at all - 'sell' like a double glazing salesman at the door. Know your product, be enthusiastic about the materials and techniques and get the price right and sales will happen.
    For example, at a craft fair be standing, don't sit down and hide behind the stand and a newspaper because it looks as if you really can't be bothered. But don't leap on everyone as they go past. Eye contact and a smile so they know you know they are alive, then if they are interested they will talk.
    Be aware also of those who tour round like the queen chatting to everyone. They are just time wasters and while they are monopolising you a real customer is getting fed up and walking off
    Thanks for that! Some good tips there!
    I did once have someone stand blocking the view of my stall while they told me a loooong winded story about their travels.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    But not *too* enthusiastic - some of us round here can get a bit carried away with the minutiae of the subject...