Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Themed Competition October 2015 - Halloween

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

what lovely pieces - love the dragon

This is a non competition piece. Just wanted to add to the mix

a 3-d bat is hanging from the cauldron, a few swirls, a star and some colourful bubbles coming out from the cauldron.

Attachment 8227

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    what lovely pieces - love the dragon

This is a non competition piece. Just wanted to add to the mix

Attachment 8227
    but why not? It's on theme - I love it!

I love this too. I had just this same idea but have been 'too busy' so far to get anywhere with it.

Enjoying the entries so far. I'm away from home a lot this month so may struggle to finish mine, but I'm keeping it simple and keeping an eye on the deadline, so hope to get there...
    Alan

I would like to submit my pendant for this month's Halloween competition. It is a raven sitting on gnarly old branches under the full moon which I created just for the competition. I realised that most of the time I enter the monthly competition I've been trying out new techniques each time in hopes of doing something fantastic and exciting, but with that comes a huge learning curve and it never quite works out the way I'd hoped! I decided this month I'd stick to techniques I've already done before and concentrate on the actual design itself. But even with that plan I ended up learning a few new things anyway...! I think a person can make amazing things even with just knowing simple techniques so I am going to continue practicing them.
    I experimented a bit with the raven, first etching detail on one, then engraving another, even creating one in silver clay, but in the end I decided just a simple sillhouette worked best for the design. The moon was done with keum boo using 24ct gold foil. The pendant is approx 2.5cm x 2.5 cm and made of sterling silver sheet.

(I'd like to add, I have broken in my new Sievert torch with this pendant as well as a tumbler and I almost feel like a new woman! It's amazing what a difference having the proper tools makes!)

I'm still pretty rubbish at taking pictures of jewellery but here it is:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ravenpendant01.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	8240Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ravenpendant03.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	8242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ravenpendant02.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	8241
    Last edited by Sandra; 14-10-2015 at 10:40 PM.

I love your raven, Sandra - concept, design and execution. Whether complex or simple techniques, it's about how you use them to achieve a particular result that matters. The keum-boo is perfect for a harvest moon at this time of year (though since crop stubble burning no longer happens, we don't often see those rich golden moons) and the oxidised silhouette forms of bird and branches against the gold work beautifully. The only thing that worried me was that on first reading I thought you said you'd broken torch and tumbler and felt like a new woman, which had me questioning both your methods and your sanity... second reading I got the word "in". I'm away from home myself and missing my tools.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    The only thing that worried me was that on first reading I thought you said you'd broken torch and tumbler and felt like a new woman, which had me questioning both your methods and your sanity...
    Alan

Ok I see I worded that a little oddly and have changed it now LOL!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

That is just brilliant Sandra. Love it!

Love it Sandra! I like the mood of it.
    - Emily

Love the bone shank on the ring, lovely detail