Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Titanium soldering clamps update

Default Titanium soldering clamps update

Just a quick note to let you know that Cooksongold have reduced the price of the Knew Concepts titanium strips for making the soldering clamps, they are now £19.20 including VAT for 10 strips, see; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-997-3318

I made up this photo sheet showing what shapes I made and their uses and posted them on Facebook and got a good response. Some on this forum may find it useful.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	76 Ideas of shapes sheet.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	10921

James

What did you use to cut them to shape? I suspect I wouldn’t be able to make them even though I like the idea a lot.

The beauty of them is that they can be cut with a 2/0 saw blade and bent with ordinary pliers. A file will tidy them if required.
    As they don't stick to solder, or conduct heat well, they really are ideal.
    The only drawback is that having bought a pack, most of us are too lazy to make them and would rather struggle on as before.
    There's a niche market for someone willing to make them up for sale. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    What did you use to cut them to shape? I suspect I wouldn’t be able to make them even though I like the idea a lot.
    I used my piercing saw with size 0 vallorbe blades and then I used my standard files to shape the points.

These standard shaped clamps are also useful for a lot of jobs.

Name:	66 standard clamps.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	10922

James

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The beauty of them is that they can be cut with a 2/0 saw blade and bent with ordinary pliers. A file will tidy them if required.
    As they don't stick to solder, or conduct heat well, they really are ideal.
    The only drawback is that having bought a pack, most of us are too lazy to make them and would rather struggle on as before.
    There's a niche market for someone willing to make them up for sale. Dennis.
    You are right Dennis, I bought it in sheet form the first time James brought it up and then I was too lazy to cut it up. A packet of strips might just get me there

You can also use a bench grinder to shape them

Just to add to my original posting, I sometimes roll down the shop sold strips to make thinner soldering clamps which are better for some jobs. The first photo shows my rolled down strips made into clamps and the second photo shows the clamps I made from the strips as sold by Cookson.

Name:	77 Thinner clamps.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	10923 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	78 Standard clamps.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	10924

James

I like these a lot and I think I'll probably make a set for an upcoming project I'm planning. I see that Ti sheet can be bought relatively inexpensively on Ebay so I'll probably order some of that and cut it to thickness with some tin snips before bending / filing to finished shape/

It is a pretty hard metal and even if heavy duty shears succeed, the results will be twisted. A piecing saw is the tool of choice. Dennis.

I have to confess that I've been thinking about buying a set of these for a while, was seduced by the lowered price and have bought a set. Bending a couple of them with pliers was nice and easy so now I'll shape a couple with my saw and get them ready to use. The rest I'll form as and when I need them.