Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Website Review Categories......

What makes you think google is a woman, geti? I think its an arsy arrogant man!
    No man could multitask and spider websites like google does - he'd be too distracted

Quote Originally Posted by geti-titanium View Post
    No need, it looks fine - a good amount of text but I wouldn't try to cram too many keywords in all on one page. You need to optimise different pages for different key phrases.

Don't hide the MrSite reference and if they provide a sitemap facility it would be majorly beneficial.

You could perhaps also break up the text with some nice product images.

All in all though you can breathe a sigh of relief.

PS

All those links to other websites - if they aren't linking back to you I would get rid of them - the majority will be only benefitting themselves and not you.
    Phew, thanks.........and and there weren't even any lady pictures.
    Some good tips too
    I did submit a sitemap to Google via Mr Site - does it not show up?

I know what you mean about the links. I got a bit carried away when I set up the site and now feel mean removing them. They were supposed to be reciprocal but not everyone "remembered"

Interesting points all!
    Do comment on my site if you like
    www.jewellerybyemmarose.co.uk
    I have found I have only climbed google ranks by my links....
    Carole, I like your site, the only thing I found confusing was the wedding tab....no examples...what flowers where??? link back to tiara page and any other relevant pages or have some thumbnails click through or a slide show where the bride is....
    Em

Oh, and I definitely think Google is a man 'cos I can't flippin' understand him and he's infuriating and won't do what you tell him.

Hi EmmaRose,

I think you can feel it in your water as to what I'm going to say can't you?

Firstly - whoa!! Header image is a bit bright and I can't quite make out what the image is in the header - too fuzzy.

Next - distinct lack of text on the homepage - no, hang on a minute! It took me all of 2 seconds to spot the biggest attempt at keyword stuffing a webpage and hiding the white text on a white background that I have ever come across - if I can see it, google's seen it and promptly relegated your site to the back of beyond. The good news is that you are still listed in the google index but please get some serious help and advice about this site before you do lose it.

I think anything that I have touched on in other sites goes triple for yours - it's completely wrong on all counts.

I could have bull**it**d you and been a bit more tactful, and the last thing I want to do is hurt your feelings, but if I don't tell it like it is you aren't going to know.

Products - the images are nice, but I haven't a clue what they all are - why? Because there is no text telling me - I'm a man. I work with metal and computers and polishing compounds and smelly chemicals. I don't know what pretty things are and what they are for so tell me... and pad it out a bit for google (but not in white text obviously

Back in a bit after my tea - that's if you're talking to me!

LOL no appreciate candour....believe it or not that was what I was advised to do by a web "guru" on a mentoring scheme (sighs), less clutter, lots of imagery and the word stuffing thing ()
    not sure why my logo comes out fluffy (probably the not wonderful software since I don't use HTML)
    Em

Thank God for that - I was beginning to feel like Simon Cowell

You can still save it - all you need to do is bring the text out into view and probably rewrite it without stuffing.

On another point though - assuming somebody sees the prices, likes the product and wants to buy, ask yourself just how easy it is for them to do that right now at 9:08pm

OK the word stuffing should be gone. Advice on type of text and where to put it without looking cluttered appreciated? You don't think header is OK as jewellery bright....so a toned down version of the same colours or something simple??
    Thanks again. Your honesty and clear advice is very refreshing. So many people are afraid to tell the truth and just say oh its nice/ fine....hope jewellery crits here become as honest too!

Em

hope jewellery crits here become as honest too!
    Don't get me started on some of the jewellery - I've kept quiet so far ! Only kidding, you've all got far more talent than I have.

Back to business though:

No fancy fonts - stick to arial.

Write as if your audience is aged between 14-16 years old, so no fancy words.

Split the text up into smaller paragraphs - this makes it easier to read just in case anybody does want to read it.

Softer colours in the header would be easier on the eye - I noticed as well you have a colour clash on the navigation bar on pages other than the home page.

You're tinkering with it as we speak aren't you?

Payback time.

I'm going to give people the chance to chew me up and spit me out now - any advice offered on my site www.fatcowdesigns.com ? - no holding back now - it feels good to let go!