Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: First ever claw setting (help!)

Thanks Sarah

And I know, but then the little Foredom would cry and it'd be awful...! I wanna try to get good with it

Faith

Lol! you will find plenty of other jobs that you will really appreciate the Foredom for I promise.

I sure you can change the angle of the bench mate vice ? theres a knob underneath it you can undo to change the angle, Ive not used mine for a while so could be wrong.

The knob underneath let's it rotate, there is a big bolt at the back tho, which I think let's you tip it to the side. Less user friendly (you need a big spanner) but I could try that for sure

Faith

Yeah that sounds about right maybe it will help ?

Yeah I'll have a go
    I'm not sure at the mo if I'm losing control of the earring of the burr when it goes tramping off around the claw by itself, but at least that would eliminate one source of movement.

Faith

Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    Thanks Josef

I have the grs benchmate vice actually, which I use for bezel setting but I couldn't get "comfy" with it for this - I've been finding it easier to cut the claws with the setting held horizontally rather than upright. Praps I'll persevere with the vice tho, and see if I can mount the earring in there at a comfy angle in some thermoloc...

Ta again
    Faith
    I don't know what GRS device you've got, but I've got the Benchmate and I can get things in it horizontal if need be. This doesn't require a spanner. Perhaps you could show us a picture of your set-up.

Hi Mark,

I've got this one: http://www.grstools.com/benchmate-fo...pose-vise.html and it's mounted just like in that picture.

The nut at the back I can't move with my fingers is all.

Faith

Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    Hi Mark,

I've got this one: http://www.grstools.com/benchmate-fo...pose-vise.html and it's mounted just like in that picture.

The nut at the back I can't move with my fingers is all.

Faith
    I'm not sure why you've opted to use that for this job. Why not use the standard Benchmate ring-clamp, which can easily be made to lie horizontally?
    BTW: you should be easily able to straighten that crooked claw tip with a tiny sideways twist from some snipe-nosed pliers.
    Last edited by Aurarius; 02-01-2017 at 11:19 PM.

Just don't have one!

May have been a purchasing error a few years ago, but I have the wooden pin, and that vice, but not the ring clamp. I didn't get a kit you see, just individual bits

I'm not ruling out buying one, I just haven't had a need before.

Faith