Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite & least favorite part of metal smithing?

but these mostly stay in my head as I am totally rubbish at sketching them out
    If you or anybody want's 3D renders done I'm happy to help? I don't do it commercially and it would be totally free of course for anybody here.

best wishes

Dave

Blimey! You may live to regret that offer Dave!

Why are people in on their laptops on such a lovely day? My excuse is that I'm doing Open Studios and am inundated with visitors (not). Shan't be doing that again. I've signed up for 10 days too!

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Why are people in on their laptops on such a lovely day? My excuse is that I'm doing Open Studios and am inundated with visitors (not). Shan't be doing that again. I've signed up for 10 days too!
    got a chapter draft to write. Plus I can't ever escape my goth roots so avoid sunlight at all costs.

PMC goes like hot cakes, probably because it's cheap and quick to do and easy to personalise. I know that goes against everything I said to Pat, but Noths is different to selling at craft fairs. I can't sell personalised stuff at craft fairs for love nor money but it's snapped up on Noths. Crazy!
    the PMC print stuff on NOTHS doesn't look that cheap to me, though I suppose there is a hefty % commission to pay for selling on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    If you or anybody want's 3D renders done I'm happy to help? I don't do it commercially and it would be totally free of course for anybody here.

best wishes

Dave
    ditto what Carole said!

Blimey! You may live to regret that offer Dave!
    Naaa The guy that taught me did so on the condition I helped others the only people that will tell you how hard and expensive it is to do will be those trying to charge you for their services. It's actually pretty easy in reality, I guess being Autistic helps though

best wishes

Dave

Can I ask what tool you use for 3D drawings, Dave? This is something I'd love to try, but all the software I've looked at is very expensive. (I'm a computer programmer in the day job, so something combining technology with jewellery very much appeals to my inner geek)

In answer to the original question: I don't really like piercing - mainly because I so often mess it up! I enjoy soldering, just for the satisfaction in that moment when the solder flows. Also, I like adding the finishing touches, e.g. enamelling, etc, and seeing it totally transform the item.

Hiya Fay,

3d Studio, (mainly for the renders)
    Rhino 4.0, (quick and simple scribble ups)
    Inventor, (to see if bits will actually fit)
    Solidworks, (The core design software)
    AutoCAD (for 2d production files)

(Various raster to vector packages + sundry other stuff)

but all the software I've looked at is very expensive.
    Tell me about it my annual drawing software expenditure is close to £45K (big clients expect to get the files in the latest formats)

best wishes

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    Hiya Fay,

3d Studio, (mainly for the renders)
    Rhino 4.0, (quick and simple scribble ups)
    Inventor, (to see if bits will actually fit)
    Solidworks, (The core design software)
    AutoCAD (for 2d production files)

(Various raster to vector packages + sundry other stuff)

Tell me about it my annual drawing software expenditure is close to £45K (big clients expect to get the files in the latest formats)

best wishes

Dave
    Thanks for that. Not really something that a person can do on a whim then! I was contemplating signing up for an evening class at my local uni (or sending my husband to one - ~£300) in order to get a student card to get a discounted version of Rhino.

I want to be able to draw up designs in 3D, and to maybe eventually send designs for 3D wax printing if I come up with designs that are difficult to make any other way. I was looking at CAD Rhino courses at Holts Jewellery School, but I'm in scotland, so it would be pretty expensive, though a cool use of a holiday.

Would Rhino on its own be enough for me, do you think, or would I need more than that?

I HATE designing things.. and by that I mean drawing out ideas first ( I really cannot draw!). I much prefer to just get a piece of metal and see what I end up with given a vague idea of what I'm after (ie a ring, a necklace, bracelet etc). Obviously with commissions you can't really avoid this though as I always send customers a picture to approve first (thankfully they have been understanding of my lack of artistic merit!) My favourite things are hammering, and doing that final polish after all the hard work has been done.. so many times I've had pieces that don't look much until that last polish and everything seems to magically change and the piece looks so different
    Last edited by solitarysmagick; 27-05-2013 at 04:49 PM.