Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Work in Progress. Experiments in Rivets

Quote Originally Posted by Vos View Post
    Thanks peeps, I'm chalking it up to experience (or running before you can walk).

It's not all a loss. I've learnt loads, and will definitely try again. I now know I can rivet, but if using tube spacers they HAVE to be exact.I also take comfort in the fact my rivets were so solid they were inseparable. So that's a positive.

I'm not giving up, and will definitely re-try with possibly thicker plate although that will take the delicacy away (maybe 0.5 was pushing it). It will be remade though, it's just at the moment I have three days left to complete the family chrimbo presents!

So many lessons learned...
    Thought the air was a bit blue up here in Scotland, now I know why
    It would probably have taken any slip up if as you say the metal was thicker, that wouldn't take a slip of the hammer or anything which is also possible when riveting.
    I was going to say can't you file the rivet off but that's the positive you make a great rivet

Oh those rivets worked Caroline! That's my one consolation, even after flush filing they were like rock. Like I said, I will come back to it, I just have to make my girlfriends christmas present yet My only decision is whether to use thicker stock. While say, 1mm would have less flex, it would turn it quite chunky, which was not what I was aiming for.

Metalsmith, I know what you mean. This is why I should have taken a break. I almost knew I was going to bork it, I think I let determination get in front of sanity.

And Patstone I had absolutely no idea you were working with one eye. Fair play you! We all have our difficulties (mine's just a dysfunctional brain), but making jewellery with no stereoscopic vision - I doff my cap to you
    All the gear and no idea

I was going to suggest 0.8mm min and would probably choose 1mm.....I don't think it will necessarily reduce the delicacy of the design and setting style Voss, but add to the overall finish and feel of the piece.....rather like this design btw!!

Thank you both.

I'm rather in love with this design, and definitely intend to return. It felt so 'me' it is something I HAVE to take notes from. I feel that within this piece lies my signature, if that makes sense. Perhaps that's why I felt such a loss when I lost the piece.

And tabby, thank you so much for the kind words. They really do mean a lot.

Down but not out

Vos
    All the gear and no idea

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

good outline and lovely stone - hopefully loads learned and then you can repeat it with how you think it needs to look

My version of something similar earlier on this year started with a fish and 0.5mm - Soon learned it needed to be a minimum of .9mm thick. This one, with the wolf design was again 0.9mm thick and with a big stone, it still held a good bashing from having four rivets in place. http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...highlight=wolf

Well, I didnt start making jewellery until four years ago after losing the eye. It was a case of "I can do that" and sometimes I cant. Hahaha.

I love the wolf too, I envy your piercing skill.
    Vos, you certainly like a challenge it looks great.
    James is just awesome. I just had to say I love reading these threads and am learning there is so much more to this art than I thought.

Thanks Wallace (et al).

Will get christmas out the way then have a play with .9

Many thanks

Vos
    All the gear and no idea

Haha Vos! I thought it was only me that did that kind of thing!
    Sorry shouldn't laugh but its nice to know Im not alone
    Look on the bright side, you didn't wreck the stone so along with learning you still have that beautiful stone to redo it with.
    LOVE the design!