Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Completely Self Taught or Courses?

I went to the School of Jewellery in Birmingham, it was th best 2 years of my young life i studied there for 2 years, i then became a jobbing jeweller and my colleague taught me an awful lot more and made me work on pieces that i would never have dreamt of touching, working with precious metal and stones made my work a lot more refined and precise. I also had an oppurtunity to teach Jewellery at night school it was great been able show people how to make jewellery from scratch although they all wanted to jump in head first and start saw piercing and stone setting straightaway. I have often wished i had stayed on at uni to learn more but then i had learnt all the basics and wanted to work on my own.

I have taught myself how to make Chain Maille sitting at the computer and search the internet for info or PMC. I would love to do a lampwork course, which although i cant make i absolutly love so hopefully in the near future now all the kids are at school i will be able to fulfill this but then that a whole new load of equipment i will need to buy lol.

I'm a mixture of self-taught and classes. I did about 6 weeks of metalwork during my A level art (over 30 years ago!) and apart from the odd pair of earrings or necklace, nothing until about 6 years ago. I had to take medical retirement from my office job due to ill-health but as part of my recuperation went on a general jewellery/metalwork class with my local education authority - first year was great, then I re-enrolled for another year, but that turned more into a club and I didn't enjoy it as much....so since then I've turned to book and internet videos. I belong to a couple of forums and groups online, which are invaluable for learning, friendship and encouraging me to try different things through challenges etc.

I've never managed to sort out Art Clay at home (nice bits of reticulated fine silver I have here...) so I'm off on a 1-day course next month - I'd love to have gone to Nic's but it's a bit of a trot from here so I'm going to one in London, only 5 miles away from me.

I'd love to do lampworking, but don't have the set up for torch work at the moment, but it's on my "to-do" list.
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Quote Originally Posted by MuranoSilver View Post
    The best place I've been to so far has been "In the Studio" in Kegworth.
    *Looks at courses* Ooooooh. Oh man, a 5-day residential Beginners Week? I wants! And PMC and dichroic glass and chain maille...

Maybe I should start with courses in London, though!

I did several years at a local council college - basic, intermediate, advanced jewellery etc. Tried loads of techniques, but at this type of course, you never get to master any. I just kept going because I loved making stuff. Plus I am quite slow. But in the end, I gave up because I was one of the more advanced ones, and the less advanced ones got more attention. So I didn't see the point in the end.

So I would love to get much better at setting, wax carving, enamelling etc.

By the way, I just looked up that stone setting DVD you mentioned Peter. Could it be more expensive? Is it worth that much?
    Linda

Honestly? It probably could. I don't regret the cost at all - it taught me a number of tricks, methods and shortcuts that are applicable to all stone setting. Have you looked at the video snippets that are available?

It has paid for itself too, which is kind of the main point...

I'm not so sure I'd go for the princess cut DVD as well - prong settings aren't so much my thing, so I don't feel so inclined to go down that road. Would I buy one if he had a bead setting set? Not sure - I'm just about at the point where I'm consistently satisfied with my basic bead setting; the pave needs more work yet.

I'm probably dumbing the thing down by describing it as "just" a DVD; the use of the DVD along with practice rings, stones and some tools (and patterns for tools) does make it a much more comprehensive learning tool.

It costs a lot, but it's not expensive

I'm entirely self taught - no formal courses or training whatsoever - and as I work sometimes, I wish I'd been shown properly, I have no idea if I'm doing some things properly. And sometimes - like soldering an ambitiously large nugget of silver I'd created from scrap to some silver I'd hammered a little too thin - when it goes wrong, I realise that I do quite a lot of learning the hard way. Shame I wasn't actually trying to reticulate it.

But then I think about how little material I've actually wasted whilst learning, compared to the price of a course and I've very much done it on the cheap so far.

The attention of my hammer, pliers and some filing rescued the spoiled piece from last night enough for me to be wearing it now.

But I'd really like to do a soldering course at least. I'm sure I must be creating some bad habits.

I started out doing adult ed classes for three years. Since then I've done 2 enamelling courses at UWE in Bristol with Jessica Turrell. PMC with Lisa Cain at MCJS. Resin with Kathy Murphy at West Dean. Hydraulic press and argentium silver with Cynthia Eid at Birmingham.

I just love taking classes and I also teach silver work and enamelling in my studio in Cornwall. What I love about jewellery making is that there's always more to learn so it never becomes boring.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    ...enamelling courses at UWE...
    Eh? Where? Not Frenchay campus, surely?

No Peter, it was at Bower Ashton.

I left school at 16 with a few GCSE's and then in my early 20's started designing, manufacturing and retailing costume jewellery. 15 years later I went to college for two years and studied craft, silversmithing and enamelling amongst the subjects. Was accepted for the degree but my ex would'nt let me do it, said he would leave me if I did, he left anyway. If I could afford to do an MA I would and not bother with the degree.
    So from my past record it is possible to do anything without qualifications but college is fun at any age and focuses on how to learn and put it into practice, especially research and development.
    Paula