Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First ever fair!

One more thought.I take some tools with me.It makes people stop and look and the saw blades always get people talking as they can't believe how fine they are.It seems to help people understand that you actually make the jewellery.Perhaps I'm a bit odd still liking the face to face selling.
    Last edited by Anna Wales; 23-10-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Wales View Post
    One more thought.I take some tools with me.It makes people stop and look and the saw blades always get people talking as they can't believe how fine they are.It seems to help people understand that you actually make the jewellery.Perhaps I'm a bit odd still liking the face to face selling.
    Me too, I use a special set of tools just for display and for photos I have selection of Albelli printed books, they only take 5 days for printing once you have submitted them.
    Good luck
    Les
    Poor old Les

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I really enjoy the shows we attend.I find lights are very important.I have a few spotlights from Ikea at £10 a go and they look good and highlight special pieces.Also lots of cards/postcards(good old Vistaprint).I spend a lot of time talking to people and it sometimes feels like a waste of time but business info is taken and orders sometimes come in straight after the show or months afterwards.I feel by going to the shows people can see your work as photo's never seem to do it full justice.Also I think customers seem to want different and more individual work now and your work is so good I'm sure if will fly off the table.Very best of luck.
    I have a small batch of cards with FB and Etsy link on them, otherwise I have a shed load with just my website (it links to the others). Post cards, funnily enough, I have some of those as I use them to record orders on (don't ask, it works though)! lol Thank you so very much for the compliment, that has given me the biggest grin!

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Emailed receipts work well Wallace - and as most people have smartphones now, it seems, it usually arrives pretty instantly.

And good luck!! I hate doing events now, and avoid them as much as possible
    thank goodness for e-receipts, thanks for letting me know, I use them for online thingies so feel slightly reassured. x

Good luck with your fair Wallace!

I don't do many any more, but I did really enjoy the networking and meeting up with people, you get to know each other and become friends. It's how I know Carole for example! And it is a good way of getting your name out there. Even if you don't sell that much at the time, people do pick up your card and some do actually get back to you. Some people see fairs as advertising, instead of putting an advert in a paper/magazine you pay to do a fair and that is advertising your services and products. Word does spread quickly too and if you do the same fair again you will find that you get repeat customers and they will come and find you time after time.

How to do a fair, how to display etc. is a learning curve and by doing a few you work out what works for you. You can also pick up tips from other traders.

I don't have a printer for receipts either, but text or email seems to work (but you can always take an old fashioned duplicate pad if someone really wants a physical receipt). Sometimes my machine even knows people's email address and pre-fills it which is really handy. I guess it uses whatever email address they have associated with their card (online banking tends to require an email address linked to the account).

Annas idea of actually making some stuff while there is definitely a talking point and an attraction, people are interested to see what you do and it can start many a conversation and keep people at ease. Well worth a try if you can! Take some piercing work you need to do anyway (win/win situation getting some work done too!), a saw and a bench clamp perhaps? Anything that makes a noise is good! I know someone who took his whole workshop on tour with him and that always generated a lot of interest and sales, but most organisers wouldn't let you rock up with gas bottles, torches etc!

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I've not checked what the mobile signal is like in Wilton.

I shall, of course, come along (please remind me closer to the time!!!); I can bring the camera too if you need. Oh, and if you get stuck - LMK, I'm not a huge distance away from there. Extension leads, blown bulbs, all the sorts of things that are a PITA when you're on site.
    thank you very much, would love to see you. Camera would be fab I have a power point, hadn't thought about lighting other than some LED, but sounds like I need to revisit that.

Quote Originally Posted by solitarysmagick View Post
    Good luck Wallace My family on my mother's side all live not too far away (Amesbury area) so I will try get them to come along. If I were visiting I would drop in too but unfortunately I live near leeds so a bit too far for me

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    ah, Amesbury! One of my favourite places. If they do come, that would be totally awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Yes lighting really important and remember lots to drink as you'll speak to a lot of people. Have you got anyone to take with you, sometimes nice to have company if you get busy or if you need a break. That's why I only do OS as I can go to another room for 5 mins, speak to the cat and calm myself hope you enjoy the experience more than anything else x
    Sadly it is just me - I really will have to double think on the lighting... will be muttering to myself for a wee while.

I do have a little box of tools I take, I thought it might help to while away the day if it wasn't busy.

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    Me too, I use a special set of tools just for display and for photos I have selection of Albelli printed books, they only take 5 days for printing once you have submitted them.
    Good luck
    Les
    I will get the Jiff out!

thank you very much everyone xxxx

Good luck Wallace, hope you enjoy it. You also need a chair and a book, so that you don't stand there looking anxious during quiet spells. Dennis.

I beg to differ, Dennis!! Whatever you do Wallace, do not bury your head in a book or anything else! There is nothing worse than a stall holder that looks completely un-interested in their customers! If you are not interested in your work, nobody else will be either... Always engage, or at least say hello with a smile etc. You can just say hello at first and then leave them to browse for a bit, if they linger offer to help or ask if they are looking for anything in particular. If there are no customers to be seen, take the opportunity to get to know your neighbouring stall holders, go for a quick loo break or get a drink etc. and ask them to cover, then offer to do the same for them.

I used to always take a chair to fairs, but I never used it so I stopped. I tend to feel a bit rude sitting down behind my display, again feels like I am not interested in my customers.

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Good luck Wallace, hope you enjoy it. You also need a chair and a book, so that you don't stand there looking anxious during quiet spells. Dennis.
    thank you Dennis. Chair is provided

I will add one of my top tips Wallace - take food that can be eaten in very small bites. Nothing worse than being greeted by a trader with a mouth full of egg and cress sandwich - which can often lead to those Ermintrude moments. Nothing that requires hand wiping either (like crisps and nuts). Learned those ones the hard way.

It's worth making friends with a neighbouring stallie as soon as possible, just in case you need someone to spell you for five minutes for emergency loo breaks etc.