Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large Cross Metal Stamp Needed

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    The trouble with economising on tools in my experience is that usually you end up wishing you'd bought the expensive one in the first place. If its a piece that you'll make again and again, you'll soon make your money back.
    That's exactly what my other half just said to me.
    Well, i've definitely got my eye on that little wooden handled Brass Hammer. (Cheapest i've found it in the UK is £33).

I am a little confused as to why you would want a brass hammer. These are meant to be used on striking wooden handled chisels, I thought this thread was about using steel punches. I have been in this trade as a goldsmith for 52 years now and have a vast collection of hammers and mallets but I have never owned or even considered owning a brass headed hammer.

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 31-08-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I am a little confused as to why you would want a brass hammer. These are meant to be used on striking wooden handled chisels, I thought this thread was about using steel punches. I have been in this trade as a goldsmith for 52 years now and have a vast collection of hammers and mallets but I have never owned or even considered owning a brass headed hammer.

James
    From what i've been reading, Brass hammers (being softer than Steel) tend not to dull/damage your metal stamps and they tend not to let the metal bounce/or make the hammer slip whilst stamping on - like a lot of regular Steel stamping hammers do (usually resulting in double impressions).
    I intend to do a lot of stamping, so just want the best tools for the job!
    Yes, this thread started out about me wanting a Cross Steel punch, but i went off on a tangent i guess.
    Being in the business 52 years is very impressive,...but we can all learn something new every day.
    Last edited by silvermagpie; 31-08-2013 at 04:51 PM.

You are, of course, correct James - I'm afraid I saw "expensive brass mallet" and suggested a cheaper alternative without considering what is was actually needed for.

My Thor mallet is a bit big for jewellery work, but is excellent for persuading seized bits of machinery (such as a Land Rover) to behave themselves with more decorum.