Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooksons' soldering kit........

Thanks for the advice guys

xx

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    So would you say it would be better long term to go straight for a Sievert kit like this:

www gasproducts co uk/acatalog/Sievert_Pro_86_Jewellers_Gas_Blow_Torch_Kit.html

I know that by the time you've put flux/tweezers/etc on then this will be more expensive, but would it be a better use of funds?

Seems I'm not allowed to post urls...

I think that kit looks great for a starter, but i do feel it will get out grown. The Sievert, is excellent, but you will want the full set of burners. the one supplied in the picture in tiny, i rarely use it. i mainly use to next one up, and the largest for melting metal for casting.

An borax is realy cheep, for a flux. until you know you need something else for something specific.
    ]
    Pickle baths seem to be the most expensive item in the soldering line, i really don't know why

Julian

Take a look on Ebay, there are loads of slow cookers for sale, how about this one the LLOYTRON 1.5L COMPACT BLACK ELECTRIC SLOW COOKER for £11 plus postage. It is a brand new item, the seller says 10 available, has a ceramic pot a glass lid and it is reasonably small. It holds 1.5 litres of liquid which is large enough for most jobs.

It should be fine for a pickle pot if you want this type check it out.

Although for the past 30 years an old Pyrex lidded casserole dish heated on a gas ring has served me well as a pickle pot.

James