Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Made this week

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    Paul - thanks for taking the trouble to answer. I'm also self-taught, though my R&D has focused increasingly on Argentium. Being a relatively new alloy, there's very little about it in books dealing with silversmithing (or with precious metals more generally) but there's quite a lot scattered about on the internet and I'm building up a good collection of information and links. I'd definitely recommend exploring fusing - once you've grasped the basics it's actually easier than soldering and you can achieve neater, cleaner, stronger joints. Just as a simple demo, have a look at this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8I0XglPmuM . I find (at least with 960) it helps to brush a little Auflux on the joint itself - or this stuff, which appears to be very similar to Auflux: http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-997-6425
    Alan
    Thanks for that.

Looks very interesting. I'll have a go at that and post the result in due course.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagic View Post
    Hi Alan, the Argentium is the top pic. With the large Abalone shell. You can't really tell from the pics but the Argentium is much brighter. I find it nicer to work with as it's a little softer
    I don't want to sound like a critic, because your results are great. I just wonder whether it is coincidental that I noticed there are some tooling marks - and it turns out to be on the Argentium. Yes, the close up photos are unforgiving. As I said, not intended as a criticism, but an observation. Does Argentium take more work to clear up marks / is it noticeably more difficult to avoid mark making during the process?

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    I don't want to sound like a critic, because your results are great. I just wonder whether it is coincidental that I noticed there are some tooling marks - and it turns out to be on the Argentium. Yes, the close up photos are unforgiving. As I said, not intended as a criticism, but an observation. Does Argentium take more work to clear up marks / is it noticeably more difficult to avoid mark making during the process?
    No no criticism is good! I prefer it.

If you're referring to the top ring on my pics? Yes that is the Argentium one and the ring shanks are hammer textured. If you mean the bezel then that could be just me not taking enough time to remove tool marks.

Personally though I like to see "the hand of the maker" but I appreciate not all do.

I think it's probably a case of me needing to take more time and care when finishing my jewellery.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagic View Post
    No no criticism is good! I prefer it.

... the ring shanks are hammer textured
    Personally though I like to see "the hand of the maker" but I appreciate not all do.
    Yes it was on the shank... hammered - that explains it!

Don't worry, I didn't think there was anything noticeable on the bezel.

Yes, I sometimes make sure to leave a mark even where there was none!