Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice about Dremel or not to Dremel...

If the tumbler isn't doing the trick, it may be that your prefinishing isn't perfect. Metal clays should need little or no finishing, other than burnishing or polishing (and tumbling really does seem to be the best bet for this) provided the surface is really, really smooth before firing.

Hmm, mizgeorge has a point there... if you post some photos we'll have a look. This is an excellent place (I've found) for getting to the bottom of niggly things. I would certainly try to see if you can get the kit you've already got working for you!

On the extra bits for the Foredom front... well, to be quite honest, once you've got a pendant drill at least half of your income is going to go on bits for it because there's always another little thing you can get (just bought some more cup burrs myself)...

Specifically for polishing... the kit you get from Cousins has a few standard items and a load of random ones. It's put together by Foredom themselves to promote their own stuff and selected suppliers (mostly 3M).

Probably what you'll want most is a handful of little wheels. I like these leather ones and these felt ones, but there are dozens of different ones that will be other people's favourites. You'll need at least two, one for each polish grade. Personally, I wouldn't buy too much as you might find you like some of the impregnated plastic and rubber wheels they give you as samples, many people do!

The kit also comes with samples of their own polishing compounds, which are waxed based but not quite as messy as rouge (but too hard in my view). Again, maybe you can try these before investing in the less messy (I think) Luxi stuff.

If you've bought the quick-release handpiece set (the one I like best) then you'll need a handful of these mandrels, because they only give you one... in fact do watch out when buying bits for the quick release handpiece - they MUST be 3/32 bit, it's the only size that fits.

I am going to be a bit of a resurrectionist with regard to this thread :0) Santa was indeed very good to me and brought me a Foredom drill, and I have a question about collets for it. The model I received was the one with the quick release, which appears to have the facility for only one size of shank. I want to drill a 1mm hole in some quartz I have, and for this I have just ordered some diamond drills which have a 1mm shank. I suspect they will not fit in the Foredom collet. On looking for other collets I only see 0.8mm and then something like 1.6mm, is there no such thing as a 1mm collet for the Foredom or will one of the two mentioned before work with a 1mm shank?
    Last edited by Kwant; 04-01-2011 at 09:18 AM. Reason: changed shaft for shank, still not sure which is correct

AFAIK, the QR models of the Foredom handpieces take a 3/32" shank (or shaft, why not). I'm not sure that they can accept other collets? The #60 collet handpiece can, of course.

The #30 has a chuck on it that would handle a 1mm drill bit; there may be enough give in the 0.8mm to accept it (but it won't be likely to handle 0.8mm again), while I doubt the 1/16" will close down enough to hold the bit properly. The only other solution I can think of is to bore out a too-small collet to accept the 1mm bit; as they're probably hardened, it might be that your diamond drill bits would a sensible way to do it. Easier still if you can get it done by someone with a small lathe (dialled in accurately) - that way the enlarged hole will be concentric and straight.

Hmm

I've never seen any 3/32" (2.38mm) reducer collets, though I suppose in theory they could exist. One normally buys drills with a 3/32 shank...

There are a couple of alternatives:

Foredom make a three-jaw chuck that just snaps onto the flexishaft in place of your current handpiece. This is available quite cheaply (£20) from a foreign Ebay supplier: No 30 handpiece.

Rio have a little device that fits the 3/32 collet for very small drills: twist drill chuck.

Sorry, Peter, crossed posts... I think your point about concentricity is valid - drilling quartz with an off-centre drill would be a bit tricky!
    Last edited by Joe; 04-01-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Crossed post.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I've never seen any 3/32" (2.38mm) reducer collets, though I suppose in theory they could exist. One normally buys drills with a 3/32 shank...
    I don't think I've seen a reduced shank diamond drill anywhere - HSS & carbide (PCB) drills, but not diamond. Anyone else seen any?

Rio have a little device that fits the 3/32 collet for very small drills: twist drill chuck.
    That's cute - checked, and Karl Fischer do it too.

Then I googled and found some... Ah well.

Thanks Peter, I will in future only buy bits that will fit my current hand piece until I can invest in one with a variable chuck type collet.

The proliferation of CNC machines on every industry means you can get almost anything with a fixed shank - though 3/32 isn't favoured! Too many of my friends can't understand why I bother myself with piercing saws and files...

Peter I just checked out the Fischer site and cannot find the thing you mean would you mind linking me to it as I have an account with them.

The bits I bought came from a place called Eternal Tool which seemed to offer a good price compared to what i have paid in the past.
    Last edited by Kwant; 04-01-2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added info on the drill bits