Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mounting a closed back gemstone

Quote Originally Posted by georgewes View Post
    Snorkmaiden: Perhaps if you would paint a good layer of cement over the 'metallic silver looking cellophane' it would keep the oxygen out so it wouldn't oxidize over time. Just an idea. I don't really know if oxygen could get in slowly or what but it seems that it would help.
    It did the job without cement. Still looks good. Like the idea of using platinum foil though. Hadn't thought of that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlueTopazSakura.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	10256

Quote Originally Posted by georgewes View Post
    Snorkmaiden: Perhaps if you would paint a good layer of cement over the 'metallic silver looking cellophane' it would keep the oxygen out so it wouldn't oxidize over time. Just an idea. I don't really know if oxygen could get in slowly or what but it seems that it would help.
    It's a common misapprehension that tarnishing of silver is caused by oxygen, to the point that darkening silver for effect has come to be called oxidation.

In fact the main pollutant responsible is hydrogen sulphide, either in the air or for instance from foods, such as eggs and onions.

Once a stone has been securely set it takes many years for the background to darken.

So I do wonder whether money is better spent on a higher quality stone, rather than an expensive foil background.

Hardly ever set cabs, but you are right about the pollutant Dennis. All my jewellery in Salford tarnishes almost overnight. Fine elsewhere. Also some wearers seem to make things tarnish quickly.

where can a person purchase platinum foil?