Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marketing...What do YOU pay for jewellery?

I don't remember buying myself any jewellery for years although I did drop very unsubtle hints about a M Frey Willie bangle I saw in the Sunday Times colour supplement some years ago. A Manhattan bangle duly appeared in my Christmas stocking and I adore it. I have no idea of the cost but I think it was expensive.
    Di x

The last jewellery thing I bought was a bit of costume jewellery from BHS of all places - bought before I started learning how to make my own.

The most expensive item I bought - a gold chain and cartouche when I was in Egypt years ago - it turns out that it really is 18ct gold!!
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

went to a craft fair and bought a lovely beaded bracelet with 'tiffany beads' never heard of them but beautiful and opaic.

Quote Originally Posted by fiona davies View Post
    went to a craft fair and bought a lovely beaded bracelet with 'tiffany beads' never heard of them but beautiful and opaic.
    You forgot to say how much you paid.

Reading through this thread, I am really surprised how little people spend on jewellery. Why is that? Is it because you can make the more expensive stuff yourselves? Or is it that we are all used to cheaper jewellery in the stores?

I myself will pay varying costs depending on the piece. I spent £350 on my tissot watch (don't tell my husband), which I adore, and expect that to last me very many years. I convinced my husband to buy me a gold ring on holiday once, costing £200 (also one of my favourites). But at the same time, I am happy to pay £10 for a piece of costume jewellery if it takes my fancy. But that is rare. My cheapest piece ever was a lovely string of chunky beads at £6. More commonly, I am more likely to pay around £40-£60 for a nice piece of silver jewellery. But if I absolutely loved it, then I would happily pay up to £100 on a whim.
    Linda

£130 for a designer made ring from the gorgeous Electgrum Gallery on South Molton Street - it makes me smile every time I wear it (which is lucky!) - it is lime green - apparently plant resin (?) in a domed oval with a silver shape in the middle of it. If I don't make things myself then yes I do tend to only buy expensive and unusual jewellery from designers where possible but it is few and far between.

Linda: I don't think I'd pay much more than £60-£100 for a piece of jewellery (and I don't currently own any artisan jewellery). There are various reasons:
    - I haven't really bought any at all now I can make my own.
    - Think of the amount of jewellery supplies I could buy for £350! I'd much rather have those, or tools, or techy gadgets for that amount of money.
    - I don't really wear the things that people typically pay a lot for. I don't wear a watch, or rings, and I don't much like gold and don't care about owning diamonds or the other expensive precious stones. I like silver and semi-precious and glass, and not too large or ornate.
    - I haven't come across anything I loved so much I just had to have, no matter the price.

As time goes on, maybe? But not right now.

My Liz Art stuff was the last thing that i bought, as i said, but i have some much more expensive stuff, including a gold dragon that hangs around my ear, that was about £400
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Di, I momentarily had this vision of a killer whale wrapped around your wrist.....

LOL!!
    (careful George.....this thread could turn tricky )
    J x

The last thing I bought was this Ring from a Flickr contact. About £70 after conversion from US$ and postage. And he sent me this ring free with it.

I tend to buy mostly rings for myself because I don't think it is something I have mastered at all well yet.