Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi and introduction..

I will be looking into local colleges or a local goldsmith who runs classes/courses, hopefully I can find something and get started, if anyone can recommend any please feel free.

Meanwhile, I'm going to get a few basic bits to make life easier with the stuff I'm already doing and will just keep practising and generally learning as I go :-)

Ian, What you need is a book for absolute beginners, which shows lots of pictures of tools, methods, and simple projects. Two In One Manuals, Jewellery by Madeline Coles does all that and only costs £13.

And no-she is not my auntie. Welcome to the forum, Dennis.

Thank you Dennis, I'll take a look at the book and get it ordered :-)

Hi and welcome Ian!!

I think that you may find casting grain hard to work, casters mix it with other alloys to make the appropriate carat and to improve it's workability (if that's a word!!). Also beware that repeated melting of silver and gold can make it very brittle. I would also echo many of the others, learn/practise the basics first....since you are already familiar with metal work, I'm guessing that this may be fairly quick. That said....you may just enjoy the trial and error!!

To make a simple wedding band, I would suggest cutting with a piercing saw and then soldering a strip of silver sheet, or a length of silver wire. Many folk use tutorials on youtube.

Most of all Enjoy!!

Tabby x

Quote Originally Posted by firetrap90210 View Post
    I will be looking into local colleges or a local goldsmith who runs classes/courses, hopefully I can find something and get started, if anyone can recommend any please feel free.

Meanwhile, I'm going to get a few basic bits to make life easier with the stuff I'm already doing and will just keep practising and generally learning as I go :-)
    Wondering if you missed a link Enigm/Sarah shared with you earlier re courses I think ?

Quote Originally Posted by firetrap90210 View Post

Hi Ian

Some brilliant advice landing on your door step already as James said "Learn the Basics first" you need to keep it simple,
    practice and perfect your techniques.

I was once asked by a student "what tools do i need" my reply "What are you making" answer "I don't know" my reply "Then that makes 2 of us"
    so it's back what James said "start with the basics".

I once told a student anyone could make a piece of jewellery using a bench peg, sawframe and blades not forgetting a flat piece of silver, copper or brass and with these you can sawpierce a shape.

Next you might want to form the metal (bend) so now you need pliers.

Next you might want to solder a ring or another component to your piece so you'll need to purchase a torch, so there you go
    you're building up the tools you need and gaining experience along the way.

Welcome to our world Ian, hope you have years of pleasure creating fab pieces of jewellery.

Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Willow View Post
    Hi Ian

Some brilliant advice landing on your door step already as James said "Learn the Basics first" you need to keep it simple,
    practice and perfect your techniques.

I was once asked by a student "what tools do i need" my reply "What are you making" answer "I don't know" my reply "Then that makes 2 of us"
    so it's back what James said "start with the basics".

I once told a student anyone could make a piece of jewellery using a bench peg, sawframe and blades not forgetting a flat piece of silver, copper or brass and with these you can sawpierce a shape.

Next you might want to form the metal (bend) so now you need pliers.

Next you might want to solder a ring or another component to your piece so you'll need to purchase a torch, so there you go
    you're building up the tools you need and gaining experience along the way.

Welcome to our world Ian, hope you have years of pleasure creating fab pieces of jewellery.

Carlton
    This is why you teach Carlton and most of us just make, this is a much simpler way of saying what we have been trying to. I would find it easier to show

Wow, thanks everyone for your advice.. I'll certainly take it on board. I will forget the casting route for now and get some flat sheet and work with that. I have plenty of torch options (oxy/acet, map gas and butane) but was wondering if the Antex Gascat 120p would work as I have one of these but have only just remembered it's in the shed somewhere! I may dig it out and have a play tomorrow.
    I will need to buy a small saw, and the blades are a little different to what I'm used to, is there a particular type I should go for?
    Again, thanks for all the help��