Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering how everyone is

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Removed several broken diamonds from a wedding ring, cleaned up the seats ready to set new ones.
    Also a day writing code...
    I bet you preferred the diamond work to writing code, Peter. We threw out a Cobol book in our loft clearout.

Cor Lorraine I'm impressed with the size of your project and I can imagine getting it to where you want it is going to be interesting!

So far today, I've started four loaves of bread, cycled 5k on the bike and am going back to making more clasps and jewellery that I started yesterday, then some more chainmaille designs, then planting the final lot of sweet peas.
    Jules

Hah. No contest. I'd rather have been setting in new metal rather than something that got chewed by a horse, but it's good practice. A certain amount of cleanup (and cleaning) was needed before recutting the seats.

Are you making your bread by hand or using a machine?

Customer collected his George and Dragon and was very happy with my restoration work.The George on this piece was actually a child / cupid figure.
    I had to replace a lot of missing stones, make a new lance, clean up the whole piece and finally add some patination. It is now off to Switzerland for auction.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JJ41 G+Dragon 1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	4722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JJ41 G+Dragon 2.jpg 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	4723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JJ41 G+Dragon 3.jpg 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	4724
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 17-05-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Everyone is so productive, and i was just happy to have got three of my bits soldered on lol, put the solder on the wrong side on the last bit so have had to pierce a new little heart................what a ditz! But oh wow was wearing my panic pants yesterday, that solder just didn't wanna flow so i got aggressive with the flame, think i should have just done that first but i was so nervous about messing up, really got to stop treating this stuff with kid gloves and just do it! (as a certain trainer company would tell you)
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

Are you making your bread by hand or using a machine?
    I use a dough hook, as my hands are not as strong as they were, but then do a final knead and shape by hand before it gets bunged in the Aga. I have got a bread machine, but rarely use it and there's definitely a difference in taste and texture between the two.

We've just tucked into the first loaf and are always fighting over who has the crust.
    Jules

I tend to make up a batter with 50% of the flour, all of the water & yeast & let that ferment for at least 8 hours. Kneading in the rest of the flour is easier then as the gluten in the first half has had a decent chance to prove.
    My bread machine started losing its non-stick coating, which meant I mangled the loaves trying to extract them.

I tend to make up a batter with 50% of the flour, all of the water & yeast & let that ferment for at least 8 hours. Kneading in the rest of the flour is easier then as the gluten in the first half has had a decent chance to prove.
    My bread machine started losing its non-stick coating, which meant I mangled the loaves trying to extract them.
    Blimey, 8 hours! I usually let mine rise for 2 hours, then a further 2 in the tin(s). I have heard about letting bread rise overnight, which apparently is the traditional way of baking, but haven't tried it yet. You have to add in more salt and less yeast, otherwise you'd come down in the morning to a rather large blob !
    Jules

Or retard the dough in the fridge overnight Gives a good flavour to the dough, as does holding back some of the dough & adding it to the next batch.

Or retard the dough in the fridge overnight Gives a good flavour to the dough, as does holding back some of the dough & adding it to the next batch.
    Ummm, I'll try that next week when I do my next batch... though I'm hoping my OH won't have eaten all six loaves by then!
    Jules

I love my bread-making machine - I'm on my second pan, first one finally lost all of its non-stick! I make bread at least 2 or 3 times a week in it though. Current favourite is granary walnut bread! Pt everything in the machine before bed, on timer, and wake up to freshly baked bread next morning!