Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New video :)

May I just point out, to the beginners watching this claw tipping video clip, that with my 20 years of experience, to approach a diamond with a torch like the one used, and not a mouth blown torch has risks, and is not what i was taught.
    However, following the links to this jewellers website, you will see its a fantastic site, and all proffessional stuff...so, as the repair job video'd obviously worked, i will stand corrected, but i just want to warn begginner jewellers, not to approach a diamond with a micro weld or similar torch as in the video, as if it did have natural fissures, there would have been an expensive insurance claim......

Quote Originally Posted by ben b View Post
    May I just point out, to the beginners watching this claw tipping video clip, that with my 20 years of experience, to approach a diamond with a torch like the one used, and not a mouth blown torch has risks, and is not what i was taught.
    However, following the links to this jewellers website, you will see its a fantastic site, and all proffessional stuff...so, as the repair job video'd obviously worked, i will stand corrected, but i just want to warn begginner jewellers, not to approach a diamond with a micro weld or similar torch as in the video, as if it did have natural fissures, there would have been an expensive insurance claim......
    Hi Ben,
    Ah yes maybe I should have put a warning on the video not to be tried by beginners because it takes years of practice to be able to do a job like that
    but to be honest I was taught to re-tip with an oxy-propane torch, never used a blow torch and I would solder a claw to a ring with a diamond in it all day with or without flaws. The trick is to keep the flame moving and solder the claw on quickly and accurately and never let the heat concentrate in one area or frosting is most likely to occur... in a busy repair workshop you don't have time to remove stones and tip and reset, I would treat sapphires, rubies, garnets and even c.z's the same way if you practice the technique on c.z's over and over you will be able to completely re-tip a c.z cluster without breaking any stones which is highly skilled soldering, but as Ben says this is not for beginners so practice hard..
    My website: www.mobeus.biz
    My Twitter: www.twitter.com/mobeus8
    My YouTube page: www.youtube.com/8mobeus8