Thread: Commonwealth Games

Default Commonwealth Games

The two great rivals in the games us (Australia) and you guys (England), I saw a report and the commentator asked one of the English competitors how he felt about Australia clocking up by a huge margin
    the most gold (and other) medals
    His comment was that we don't put too much importance in the Commonwealth games it is not the Olympics or world titles.
    I can't help but wonder if the shoe were on the other foot if his opinion would have been the same

You'd have to ask the other 3 countries in the UK how their athletes feel about the Games. I did hear it said in the run up to the games by sports commentators that it isn't seen as important as the Olympics because you aren't competing against the US, Canada, Russia (although that one's debatable)etc. Scotland seems really happy with the medal haul, their best ever outside the UK but not so happy with the treatment of the Scots marathon leader left collapsed for quite a while without any medical help or steward interaction and spectators right beside him filming his distress.

Canada was in the games, re the Scots marathon leader, I don't completely understand although apparently the rules state that the competitor or his/her representative must request assistance or they can be disqualified
    there was no request made, same if spectator gives assistance ( they should not have filmed him ) How ever the ambulance took way too long to arrive.