Thread: Dealing With Overseas Manufacturers

Default Dealing With Overseas Manufacturers

Hey all.

I'm now in the process of taking the plunge and paying to have my designs manufactured overseas. Obviously the theory behind this is that it will make everything easier and should enable me to handle a larger volume of orders as well as open up wholesale options.

Truthfully I'm extremely apprehensive about this right now. The quantities which the manufacturers talk in are scary to me at the moment. I'm the one who has to hand over my hard earned money without being sure that what I have envisaged is what I will receive. My designs are mainly going to be dainty bracelets and necklaces, ideally not too weighty and all in silver for now.

I'm hoping to draw on the experience of anyone here who does similar things and has dealt with manufacturers before, specifically from India (this is where the one I'm currently exchanging with is based). I really would like any advice, stories, tips etc that someone with this knowledge can offer up to hopefully make my experience as good, safe and productive as possible and maybe prevent any potential painful mistakes. As someone who's now attempting to make the leap from handmade to more mass produced products this whole world is very alien to me at the moment.

A few of the issues/questions that immediately spring to mind:

1) How do you pay the manufacturers? So far I've been asked to pay by Western Union but have insisted on paying by Paypal with me absorbing the fees just to be covered by their buyer protection.

2) How much should I be expecting to pay for a CAD design, wax print and silicon mold to be made?

3) Am I right to be apprehensive/cautious when dealing with manufacturers from India/China etc and if so, how cautious should I be? Most of my contacts I have found on tradeindia website and so far I have had good experiences with them. This current one is someone who contacted me through Etsy (where I currently sell some of my products) introducing themselves as a jewellery manufacturer. I chatted with them several months back about a design but at the time was unable to proceed due to other commitments. Since then they have messaged me a couple of times asking if I have designs ready yet.

They are the main things on my mind at the moment. As I said though absolutely any information relating to previous experiences, dos and don'ts etc would be helpful. Thanks muchly.

Good Luck!

I genuinely mean that. I have no experience of mass production and if my designs do ever require it, I think I'd be looking into manufacturing in the UK despite the price differential. There is an amazing, talented work force available in India and likewise in China but equally, there are facilities in the UK and grants available to help you move towards mass production. The biggest issues with getting your designs produced abroad usually come down to problems in communication. Any serious mass production facility will produce a small run for approval prior to mass production to check standards and ensure that the customer (you) is happy to proceed. If you are relying on Paypal for buyer protection please be aware that their policy differs for business and that a business Paypal account is necessary for that sort of transaction.

Let us know how you go and I truly wish you good luck.
    Ceri.
    Ceri.

Stick to manufacturers you already know are reliable for your first few big productions while you learn about all the other stuff involved. Only confirm the order when you are sure both you and your manufacturer are understanding each other completely

some thoughts - remember that imports will need customs and duty and 20%VAT as they enter the EU
    make sure your silver complies with EU regs. Even if we leave the EU to sell items to EU countries goods will have to comply
    A good alternative payment method could be TT. You can get a dedicated American Express account which you can operate from your PC very easily. each transaction is about half the price of the bank and their exchange rate is better
    you will be watching the exchange rate and value of the £ from now on!!
    I love the way consignments arrive sewn into heavy linen wrappings. India has a great reputation as a manufacturer of jewellery
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk