Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copy Smith little torch

Default Copy Smith little torch

Hi all
    The copy smith little torch's purchased from china through eBay, does any one have any experience of them ?

They're a counterfeit item - supporting the copiers isn't something I'd advocate any more than copying another jeweller.

I realise they are not the real thing, but do they work very well, are there any problems with them ?

Erm......Not sure I'd want to take my chance with a counterfeit torch!
    Generally, if people know the item they are buying is counterfeit, then buyer beware (some like to take a gamble now and then) - but a torch? Anything that could blow up in your face is probably not something I'd want to gamble with.
    Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna6573 View Post
    Hi all
    The copy smith little torch's purchased from china through eBay, does any one have any experience of them ?
    Only the real thing.

I'd avoid for reasons people have already given, and also because you're more likely to need a guarantee with a cheap copy but likely to get one that is not worth the paper it's printed on.

It would be interesting to see a tear-down of the original and one or more copies, and see how they compare in areas such as materials used, accuracy of machining, gas tightness et al. The reason counterfeits are cheaper is not usually just that they're unbranded.

Ive just seen a vid on YouTube showing the build quality, the original is a lot better built.

look on YouTube entre in search Smiths Little Torch watch the vid by 2ndchanceinlife

I guess that answers my question
    Last edited by Joanna6573; 22-11-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Thank you for all your replies
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna6573 View Post
    Ive just seen a vid on YouTube showing the build quality, the original is a lot better built.

look on YouTube entre in search Smiths Little Torch watch the vid by 2ndchanceinlife

I guess that answers my question
    Thanks for the link. The video gives you a taste of what you're letting yourself in for, but could have been far more usefully analytical in the fourteen minutes it extends to.

Given the guy's blind trust in the hoses from the counterfeit model, and his own admission that the hose connection he's made is a bit suspect, he may be needing that second chance in life he's used for his Youtube account name.

Sorry, I was cursing the tablet keyboard on the earlier post - the other points I'd have made about safety, liability and build quality have been well covered. I can imagine an insurer taking a gleeful approach to an incident involving one of these fakes...

I'm well aware of the claims that the genuine ones are made in China, therefore these must be from the same factory *and to the same quality*; the tales of "they're just overstock" and "they're genuine but not badged". That's not how it works, and for some items it's worth paying extra to make sure you have cover in your own country.

Different countries take very different attitudes to safety - have a look at the petrol vapour torches used in various parts of the world for jewellery work and be grateful for Calor gas

Apart from the fact they are counterfeit (ahhhh!) they are rubbish the joints crack and leak next thing your hand is on fire the hoses are inferior, leak at the crimps plus do not comply with Australian standards (I don't know about UK) you have to tighten the blowpipes excessively with a spanner
    The genuine Smiths little torch is not made in China it is manufactured in Watertown South Dakota USA. Cheap knock offs are a false economy.
    Last edited by china; 23-11-2016 at 02:40 PM.