Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to set Baguette Facet stones

Could you expand on that Chris?
    as you know Im a complete novice so I shan't be offended

Nice big tanzanites in claw settings, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Could you expand on that Chris?
    as you know Im a complete novice so I shan't be offended
    As you all know, rings generally take a lot of damage, so.. I see a lot of this delicate micro pave, certain gems set nicely without considering the fact they'll be damaged in no time ect ect even though they look great in their new box...I like your thinking of using wire as a barrier, nothing wrong with that if it helps.
    Sometimes wonder what designers are thinking (or not)?
    When it comes to other items, It's not such a problem.

Customers lifestyle obviously plays a big role, so ok for some lucky people but not the masses..& I don't think most are educated by jewellers when buying stuff so they make a wise choice to suit them.

I've also seen great & finely shaded engraving on rings..doesn't last long unless unworn or on steel
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 08-01-2015 at 11:21 AM.

I see what you mean, thanks for taking the time to explain

I did claw set a little Tanzanite Peter (3.5mm) hope it doesn't come back and bite me in the ass
    Good to have your thought guys and I agree its often not given enough consideration , including by myself.
    I like diamonds best, even I haven't got any of those in my bucket of shame LOL

When you get professional manfacturers making & selling delicate designs to the general public & then wonder why there are problems...you know they always hassle the stone setter first as if it was their problem

They'll say "but the pendants & earrings are fine"...blind to the obvious.

If on the other hand you point out potential problems in advance, they don't come as a suprise & are more generally expected/accepted.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 08-01-2015 at 01:05 PM.

I would scribe around the stone then drill 2 holes top and bottom then out down your corners then cut the box out with a thin sharp flat scorper then look how thick the girth is and choose a ball fraze that thickness not to deep just enough so the stone clips in if you do this correctly you should be able to turn the piece up side down bang it and the stone should stay in there, next step with a thin flat scorper burnish from the inside of the ledge this will cleanly and jently put metal onto the stone no mess no hammering very clean and secure.
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    I noticed that, there is a place for self promotion without pretending to be a customer of yourself.
    Shame, as your work looks quite neat :thumbup: just the text needs some help.
    That's for the compliment befor I looked at this post . I had gave my suggestion for setting your baguettes stones , so I have contributed
    Bet it's cold in Finland
    Last edited by johnmoto; 09-01-2015 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Miss spelt