Thread: Copper findings. ( actually, just copper) Would you protect them?

Default Copper findings. ( actually, just copper) Would you protect them?

Here is The question: do you protect the copper jewellery that you sell with a clear varnish that prevents the formation of verdegris on the skin? And if so, which one do you recommend?

If I'm going to use anything on copper, I generally use protectaclear. I wouldn't use anything on earwires though, as there's always a risk of the coating flaking off, which could cause problems.

Hi Katia, long time no see

I think some people use Renaissance wax and looking on the etsy forums others use Tung oil and clear acrylic sprays. The only thing is, is if the item is in constant skin contact, it will probably wear off in time. The people I know who wear copper bangles tend to put up with the slight green tinge that accumulates on their skin over the day and the constant rubbing of skin on copper seems to stop any build up of verdigris on the copper.

Thanks very much for your answers. I will buy a bottle of protectaclear to put on the back of my jewellery. ( do not really want to put it on the front of the copper that I will have treated with it though. It could well change the colours. Though I shall try it on a sample piece after all just to see what happens.)

Medusa, yes, long time indeed! Hope your studies are going well.

Mizgeorge: thanks about the warning for the findings! Much helpful.

I've just finished the first year and got through my upgrade OK. All very intense and it seems I have to keep redesigning the project so it's driving me nuts. I must get around to sending you a collar to look at. The one I was going to send kept getting people saying they wanted to buy it and then dropping out but it did finally sell.

Also, just realised this was about findings, for some reason I thought you were talking about bangles/pendants etc (despite the title... I know...). If it's for ear wires maybe use silver, simple ones are not expensive.

Well, I actually was thinking about findings when I started the thread, then I thought it would be good to know about it in general! I know, my English sometimes lets me down. Oops!
    I have started making copper pendants and will probably get round to make copper earrings soon. As I am selling these, I thought I should make sure about what would hapoen if I went with copper all round! I have seen pics( copper findings) and wondered about verdegris.
    Yes, don't worry about the collar, those things do happen.