Thread: hand engraving - a learning curve (or several)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Default hand engraving - a learning curve (or several)

I went on a weekend engraving event at 'In the Studio' in Kegworth.

I have loved using my scorpers and gravers ever since I learned to do stone setting the Tony Tigg way. I still use my bull stick, flat, round, and onglette (although the auto correct thinks it should be an omelette) most days for some task or another. Recently I have been using the round one to make lines and curves in metal, but wanted to gain more understanding and control of what I do. I can see the years ahead giving me more learning experiences and in no way will I ever master things, but will be able to enjoy and add to the things I like to make.

I loved the experience and have come away with a new found love of my gravers. Minus a lot of funds, but gained a lot of knowledge on sharpening, polishing and using many gravers. I have a larger collection and still learning different textures. The Tutor was a lively chap called Harry, who was quite firm in his methods. This did pay off as it meant time was not wasted.

this is the result at the end of each day

Attachment 7609Attachment 7610

then there was some post learning at home, making a few sketches with the graver and a trial of an ivy on bark ring the sample of which, went down well with the viewers. I decided to make a whole ring with ivy on it. There is still much to do and much to learn, but it is wonderful to do.

Highly polishing these tools is a new experience and much improved on what I was doing before.

Attachment 7611
    Last edited by Wallace; 10-04-2015 at 06:46 PM.