Thread: Should newbie include work hours in jewelry price?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Should newbie include work hours in jewelry price?

This part is confusing to me.
    I've read many pricing recommendations for hand made items. It usually tells to include the cost of working hours in price.
    It's reasonable for skilled jewelers, but how to apply the same rules for newbies?

There are many operations which can be improved and can be done faster with experience and proper tools that newbie may not knowing about yet. I also consider the certain amount of time as an investment in education. Plus, prototypes take lots of time from the idea to testing the final result. Including work hours in prototype price will give me absolutely unrealistic numbers.

I'm a lousy jeweler, who finished one piece so far , but I'm much skilled knitter and crocheter. I see that lots of newbies overvalue their amateur work instead of optimizing work and getting more experience first. They calculate their every knit and purl, but they don't calculate how much faster they can do it practicing and learning. Because they do follow recommendations to include their work hours in price and then are getting upset blaming customers for not buying their work.

So, how? How to start entering that pricing territory for the fist time jewelry seller and pretty much newbie ? And what pricing method can be the most effective for newbie?
    Thinking toward my sales (hopefully this year) I have not idea what price policy I can adapt for beginning.

I invested about 2500 dollars to start, and I consider that I would spend more for jewelry school, so I don't count to return that money right away, or even return at all. But pretty soon I will need more metal, more materials, and I have no wish to invest "in education" more than I already invested. From another side, I don't want to be an amateur who overvalued own amateur work.

How to get balanced pricing for newbie jewelry maker?
    Last edited by SilverBouillon; 25-02-2013 at 04:16 PM.