Hi,

Quick question – not really about jewellery but I thought someone might have experience and be able to help.

My OH was made redundant from this job as a cameraman three months ago. Since then he’s been doing freelance shifts for other TV stations but he is also trying to build up a photography business. He has gotten a job (a contact of my mum’s) photographing “baby bling” (glittery shoes, dummies with Swarovskis on and the like). It’s the same technique as photographing jewellery – in light box etc – which is why someone here might be able to help.

How much should he charge?? He’s already done a full day and is doing another full day of photography today and will then need to do post production work on the photos. I thought if someone here has had a pro photographer do their photos they could give me an idea of how much they paid.

He’s looking on this as a good opp to get more businesses (hoping she’ll tell contacts about him) so he’s reluctant to charge a lot – in case he loses business (sound familiar to any one here???) My fear is that he’ll under-price himself and then can’t shift his rate in the future.

I said that he should base it on the shift rate he gets for doing freelance camera work and charge her no less than £200. But I still can’t help feeling he might be undercharging. What do you all think???