I've recently finished uni and set up my own workshop and everythings going great except when it comes to finishing pieces. We weren't really taught that much about finishing as it was more of a design based course and i've had to learn from scratch. So if anyone can shine a light on what i'm doing wrong that would be so so great...

When I polish my work I end up with lots of lines on my pieces. They are mostly pierced out flat silver sheet. I've been using a polishing motor, doing the initial polish with a calico wheel and hyfin polish then a final polish with a linen wheel and blue dialux. I polish it against a piece of plastic sheet so it doesn't catch on the wheel. The plastic is clean and not scratched so i don't think it's that. Sometimes the end result is perfect but more often then not it's uneven and liney. I always wet and dry and pumice out any scratches and make sure the surface is clean beforehand. So why cant i get an evenly polished surface? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I also like to leave a matt finish on some pieces by just pumicing. However they mark easily with peoples greasy fingers etc. Is there a way to protect the matt finish somehow? or at least a way to care for matt work?

ps- sorry its a long winded over-detailed question I just really don't know whats going wrong!