Thread: Teaching?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Red face Teaching?

Ok, this is something I've been thinking about for a while. When me and my partner buy our own place and I own my own proper studio (hopefully at the end of this year) I was thinking a good rout to earning a bit of extra cash is teaching from home (one on one or in small groups) or at an evening class at a local collage. Does anyone else do this or know how to go about it?

I went to a half day class a couple of years ago to an enamel workshop, there was about 10 of us and it was £25 each! It was so much fun to meet like minded people, have a good old chat and do something interesting.

I know I'd need a bit more equipment, and get some damn good insurance but thats about all I know

I teach from my studio. I found the hardest part was synchronising students and now mostly teach in ones or twos. It works out OK though as it means I can get on with my own work as well.

Smile

Do you need anything to start? Sorry if I sound stupid, but we live in a world of bureaucracy so there must be something complicated I need to do first

How much do you charge if you don't mind me asking?

Default Teaching

I teach from home generally keeping it to small metalwork and enamelling. I got insurance before I started and made sure that I had good safety issues in place ie fire extinguisher, good ventilation, first aid kit and enough space to move around easily. I feel it is important to write a sheet on health and safety for people to read so that they are in part responsible for their own actions, nothing too boring though, just a quick read. As long as you take as much care as is possible most people are here to learn. Have a list of what you are going to teach for the day which you can follow and one for them to take home. When I first started I charged £100 because I was learning too but now it is £150 per day which includes everything, lunch and materials but excluding silver which is charged at cost. This is for 1-2 people. I do find it is a real exchange of learning as not all are beginners and very enjoyable.
    Hope this helps
    Paula

Thumbs up

Perfect, thanks for the help!

I would love to see a photo of your workshop (and your work as well!). That sounds like a nice amount of money, do you live in London?

Default Teaching

Cant post a link to my website yet. I am in Hastings.
    Paula