Thread: where can i get silver solder wire in medium or hard please?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default where can i get silver solder wire in medium or hard please?

Hi all, I have successfully used and love Cooksons silver solder wire that comes in easy and extra easy but they don't stock it in medium or hard. Why would that be please do you know where I could get some? Many thanks

What is wrong with the standard strips of silver solders,each with different widths so that they are easy to tell apart. What is the benefit of silver solder wires?

James

I remember being taught many years ago that you hammered out the solder strips to be nice and thin then cut them up into pallions to use. Mostly now I process a whole strip at once.

I have never used the wire, have always used the strip stuff and though I know it is a divisive issue I also use easy and hard paste, which I find invaluable for certain jobs.

Likewise, Kwant. On the whole, I use solder strip cut into paillons but for tiny fiddly stuff and closing jump rings I use paste. Paste, in my view anyway, is far too expensive to use exclusively, plus I still get a buzz when I see my solder strip melt and work
    Di x

As I understand it the wire solder is fed into seams using the heat of your piece to melt it. I’ve never seen it done, but I think for silver at least you would have to be quite brave to use a harder solder as you might well end up with a puddle of metal. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Di Sandland View Post
    plus I still get a buzz when I see my solder strip melt and work
    I'm so glad others are commenting on this as I thought I was weird in liking that part! Phew - sanity restored

I never realised strip solder was different widths for identification purposes....
    I get the solder-flowing-happy-face thing too. Every successful solder joint still feels like a minor triumph. And firing pmc still feels like magic! I suspect in earlier times I'd have made a very excitable alchemist...

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com