Thread: Assay Office London's post bags

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Assay Office London's post bags

For my past few packets, I've been merrily using the supplied RMSD bags; they're supposed to provide a better rate than I could get at the post office.

I've just seen my invoice for the latest packet and I've been billed £9.55 + VAT for the privilege. Which is a peculiar definition of better rate; had I posted this myself, I'd have been billed £7.15 total (sub £500 value, by 1300 next day).

This is on top of having my entire bloody packet lasered, despite my putting "please laser" on only the pieces I wanted lasered; I thought I'd got that rectified, but the credit note doesn't even cover 2 of the rings that should have been hand marked (no idea why they were billed at £7 + VAT for 2 rings). Not the first time this has happened either.

Not amused.

Lord! This doesn't sound good...I'm sorry you've had this happen Peter. If you'd like to PM me all the details, packet numbers etc I'll get this sorted out for you.

Thank you Steve; I appreciate mistakes happen - I did ask what I could have done to make things clearer, the answer was "Nothing"!

hmmm....let me check it out. I've got your pm, so let's see how I can sort this for you.

Have spoken to Adam this am, whom I believe took charge of your original enquiry and he will be contacting you to talk you through everything. Please let me know if all is OK following this...

OK, just got off the phone to Adam and there are some recommendations:

1. Group all your items requiring struck marks together.
    2. Similarly, group all your items requiring laser marks together.
    3. Indicate which items are to be struck on the hallnote.
    4. Writing "please laser" on items to be lasered does not affect the marking process, so that's fine.

As for the RMSD... I should have been told that the insurance value on the service is £2.5k regardless, which is why the charge for that was way in excess of what I could have paid for it had I purchased it myself.

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Default Assay Office London's post bags

Theresa, the form you download from the London Assay Office is in PDF format and can be "filled in" with standard Acrobat. You can then directly print it off completed, with as many copies as you want. I am not sure if standard Acrobat reader allows you to edit the document but I think it does.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

I think you do have to fill in two separate forms with Birmingham.

I should ask them, as they haven't commented yet with me but probably consider as that weird French resident who doesn't have a clue what they are doing anyway LOL

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I think you do have to fill in two separate forms with Birmingham.
    Only if you are sending different metals. I just fill in the one, keep the bottom sheet and send the rest off. It has been a few months since I sent anything off now though.