Thread: silver ring liner

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default silver ring liner

the easiest way to give a copper band a silver ring liner. I take i I should use fine silver? I have no ring stretcher, just basic tools.

No the inner ring can be sterling and quite thin, but a little wider, say 5-6mm.
    Then make the copper band narrower to fit over that.
    Next use something round, like the head of a doming punch to spread the edges, of the lining. No solder needed, but the join of two metals will not touch the skin. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    No the inner ring can be sterling and quite thin, but a little wider, say 5-6mm.
    Then make the copper band narrower to fit over that.
    Next use something round, like the head of a doming punch to spread the edges, of the lining. No solder needed, but the join of two metals will not touch the skin. Dennis.
    So that would be about 3 mm's either side, so I'm essentially making a giant tube rivet?

Yes that's a good way to put it Sheena.
    I was going to edit the difference in size to half that, but got called away.
    The problem is that electrolytic action and corrosion takes place at the junction of the metals, so that must be placed where skin is least likely to touch. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes that's a good way to put it Sheena.
    I was going to edit the difference in size to half that, but got called away.
    The problem is that electrolytic action and corrosion takes place at the junction of the metals, so that must be placed where skin is least likely to touch. Dennis.
    Brilliant dennis, I was reading about that battery effect and then you write about it. It's good to know that i can solder/ rivet copper to silver as long as it's away from the skin. I was starting to worry

Default Strengthening prongs

The silver liner is in and i've now finished soldering my long wire claws to the band (going to attach a piece of sea glass. My copper claws are really soft from the soldering. Need to stiffen them up. Is my best bet twisting the wire with some pliers? Can't think of any other way to do it. Would be delighted with any thoughts.