Thread: Pearl ring

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pearl ring

I made this one for myself. Silver and fused gold and black button pearl which actually shines a real metallic gold from some anglesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	my deep ring.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	4842
    It is a bit rough around the edges but it is made for me and to try out the look.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

nice! looks quite big!

I like that.
    I have been thinking about making a similar but plainer (meaning easier, requiring less skill) one.
    One of the things that has stopped me is I don't know how to secure the pearl.
    Can I ask how you have done that.
    Cheers.

IK use a cup and peg (an earring in fact) Drill a 1mm hole through the ring, then enlarge it for a smidge on the outside with a 2mm or even 3mm bit to countersink the cup a bit, then solder from the inside. snip off the stem of the earring and file smooth. (like these http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/produc...oducts_id=3089)
    Took me a while to come up with that, I faffed around with just a spike for a while and all sorts then suddenly realised the easy way to do it.
    Use two part epoxy to secure

Yes, it is quite big but I have enormous hands
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Perfect explanation - thanks.
    On another note, I was about to buy some devcon epoxy from cookson when I noticed the carriage shot up from two quid odd to eleven quid.
    Can't believe RM call that hazardous, must be a LQ exemption there.
    Got some for less from ebay in the end with free carriage.
    Now someone is going to tell me it's fake :-)

I use the two part epoxy in the two hypos for ease of accurate mixing. I get it from the local hardware shop.
    The secret with this - and this is another one it has taken me years to get to - is to place the two plungers flat ont he bench top and gently press down to get the two glues to come out. You can see they are coming out evenly and you can control the amounts perfectly (even pressing down by hand on the joint plunger can give unequal amounts))
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk