Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 hour wonders

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 1 hour wonders

so in an attempt to learn an assortment of things, in between projects ive decided to challenge myself to make something in an hour from the scrap I have left from the other stuff I'm doing.
    today I was woken up by an owl... so heres my.. urm... thing! I suppose its a pendant but god knows who would wear it! its abstract but I came in at 43 minutes (not taking pickling time into account) and its my first (poor) attempt at setting stones.
    I think hes kind of cute in a rough primitive sort of way.
    obviously this guy and future 1h wonders are going to be pretty naff but I had fun making it.

Owl jewellery. It might start a craze, although I don't think owls normally wear jewellery. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Owl jewellery. It might start a craze, although I don't think owls normally wear jewellery. Dennis.

Owls have good eyesight - you'd need a blind owl!!

Ok I'm being harsh, 1 hour and two stones set is pretty good in my book before anything else. Anything in an hour is good in my book. I've almost picked up a tool and its already past an hour!

I thought it looked a bit like a cat. Tell some cat-people its a cat and it'll sell.

One hour project - a great idea, I love it, but don't expect much from me on that one.

Aha! Just had a thought ... I didn't time it but it was well under an hour..

Guys I know it's a bit (lot) crap, I think that's why I like it.
    Anyone else fancy taking up the challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by sam.k View Post
    Guys I know it's a bit (lot) crap, I think that's why I like it.
    Anyone else fancy taking up the challenge?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22712843140_56fa9a710a_c.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	8334

I made this horse-shoe charm last night / this morning before work.

I pulled a scrap of braided 0.3mm wire, formed it into a horseshoe, found a jump-ring that would fit nicely with the scale of the piece & soldered; pickled overnight (it's old, cold and dilute), burnished it with a wire brush; found a 'spare' jumpring and fitted that.

Braiding the wire might take an hour normally, but this is just a tiny off-cut (from my re-cycle pile), so the entire piece is well under an hour.

oh, I'll play while my morrocan-style lamb is in the oven.
    [IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/2n0snko.jpg[

some sterling wire, fake pearls and tourquoise, and a dichroic glass bead that's been kicking around in my stash for a while. Parts of the wire are hammered, and I did a quick hook for a clasp.

Quote Originally Posted by sam.k View Post
    so in an attempt to learn an assortment of things, in between projects ive decided to challenge myself to make something in an hour from the scrap I have left from the other stuff I'm doing.
    I really like the idea of this!

Here is my 1 hour wonder, made from 2 lengths of 1mm wire I'd cut too short for something else (measure twice, cut once as my dad would say - lesson learnt!) I shaped them by bending the wire with pliers and hammering on a flat plate. I kind of like them, but appreciate that they're not exactly the same size - I think I will make myself a little jig with a wood block and panel pins, then try another pair.

Simplistic!

simple, yet effective!

not a master baker. not a master anything, really.

But I do make good shortbread.

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Reminds me of when I was at University and in my first year stayed in a Hal of residence. An announcement was made that there would be a debating competition between all the Halls of residence in the following month and some wag shouts out "Excellent! a Mass Debate"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍