Thread: *sob*

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default *sob*

I started a pair of earrings yesterday, polished them up and finished them this morning, very chuffed with the results. So I wore them out shopping this afternoon...and realised on the train home that one was missing. SOOO upsetting!

I lost a favoured chain some nigh on thirty years ago and I still regret it so know how you feel.

Know that feeling so well. Mine was an heirloom signet ring that went over the side of a boat whilst gutting mackerel. I've never quite forgiven myself.

What sort of fitting were they eirish? There may be a lesson in there somewhere.

Well I have several times had to relpace earrings on hooks when one came off unbeknown to the wearer. Now if I think that is likely to happen I supply them with plastic backs, such as Cooksons N2L 002, which are secure and virtually invisible. Alternatively I make catches. Dennis.

I lost a gold locket - thirty odd years ago now - somewhere around Baker Street. It contained a pic of my daughter, who was living with her dad, plus a daisy she had picked for me. I still get upset over that
    Di x

Something that I got on ebay which is very useful is small plastic skin coloured tubes that fit on the back of earrings. I think they are made to stop people taking them off in the shops, but I use them all the time especially for drop earrings. If I have a favoured pair of studs I use them on the end just behind the butterfly. Works a treat. Here is the link for them:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-clear-...#ht_481wt_1086

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well I have several times had to relpace earrings on hooks when one came off unbeknown to the wearer. Now if I think that is likely to happen I supply them with plastic backs, such as Cooksons N2L 002, which are secure and virtually invisible. Alternatively I make catches. Dennis.
    Last edited by Patstone; 09-09-2012 at 08:14 AM.

Thanks for all the lovely sympathy and advice. They were standard-shaped hooks - I'll be sure to use plastic backs when I get a new one made. I think I might even have some around. I'm now feeling quite grateful that they were neither heirlooms nor very expensive to make, although it may be tricky to get a match to the orphan. And this time I'll take pictures *before* wearing them!

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Something that I got on ebay which is very useful is small plastic skin coloured tubes that fit on the back of earrings. I think they are made to stop people taking them off in the shops, but I use them all the time especially for drop earrings. If I have a favoured pair of studs I use them on the end just behind the butterfly. Works a treat. Here is the link for them:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-clear-...#ht_481wt_1086
    That is a great idea, I am going to supply those as standard

J

Quote Originally Posted by eirish View Post
    I started a pair of earrings yesterday, polished them up and finished them this morning, very chuffed with the results. So I wore them out shopping this afternoon...and realised on the train home that one was missing. SOOO upsetting!
    Oh no, what a shame... after all that work. I've lost an earring before, but luckily it was a cheaply bought one, not lovingly handmade.
    The Mucky Pup - Gemma
    #Woof

www.themuckypupgallery.co.uk
    Blog