Thread: Irene

Default Irene

Is it possible to glue tube settings onto a ring prior to soldering, just to hold them in place during soldering?

There is no need Irene, when there are many other ways with better outcomes:

1. Put the setting upside down and support the ring on it with self closing tweezers or surgical forceps (cheap on line)
    2. Tie the setting on with 0.3mm stainless steel binding wire.
    3. Use James Millers Titanium Soldering clamps. Titanium strips now available from Cookson.And endless more.

I dont have pics of what you intend to do, but these show tools in action. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1078.jpg   sb Using The Hole in your block 2..jpg  

Dennis, what I want to do is put three tube settings on one ring for a centre stone and side stones and try to solder them all in one go.

Quote Originally Posted by Irene View Post
    Dennis, what I want to do is put three tube settings on one ring for a centre stone and side stones and try to solder them all in one go.
    That's OK, You can still use binding wire on the three individually, or use three clamps like this: http://knewconcepts.com/TitaniumClamps.php.

You can also just do them one at a time using the same grade of solder and a bushy flame, because solder remelts at a higher temperature. So if you are careful they won't budge. First the centre, then right then left, for instance.

However we are all compelled to stretch our selves and experiment from time to time. Superglue is usually used for burn away purposes, so why not try the thin variety, applied sparingly with the end of a saw blade. My guess is that carbon deposits would inhibit the completion of the joints.

But please let us know for the record. Below are recent bezels done one at a time. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tr1 Thumb Ring.jpg  

Irene,
    Dennis mentioned using titanium soldering clamps to hold the tube settings in place. These clamp strips are now available from Cookson, see; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-997-3318

This is the type of clamp I would make to hold tube settings in place on a ring shank, you could make three for your purpose and they would be useful for other soldering jobs in the future that may require clamping. As they are home shaped you can cut and shape the gripping ends to suit many clamping requirements, and they will last a long time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71 Clamp sheet.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	10026

James
    James Miller FIPG

I definately vouch for the clamps , they are so useful