Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Etsy changes

Default Etsy changes

Everyone seen this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shanno...b_5708565.html

Not having anything up on Etsy at the moment I don't know how doom & gloom it is, or if it's an accurate representation of the situation. I'd seen the rules change, that wasn't how I interpreted it.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

that is why FB has been so crucial this year. Etsy, as I look at it, is just the handler for the sales now. I point people there from FB and also twitter, and recently Pinterest.

My sales have been better since the increased networking I do, but I am tired more. (although it could be stress with young un leaving for Uni).

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Everyone seen this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shanno...b_5708565.html

Not having anything up on Etsy at the moment I don't know how doom & gloom it is, or if it's an accurate representation of the situation. I'd seen the rules change, that wasn't how I interpreted it.
    yeah, there was a huge fuss on the forums there because of it, although in fairness the cheap cr@p was on there before. There have been 'assemblers' using cheap components on etsy forever.

If you report the worse offenders they get booted off but like a hydra, seven spring up in its place. My stuff is so niche it's not really an issue for me, although I have noticed some in the same circle offering crappy wholesale stuff at bespoke prices (which really infuriates me as well)but it is really bad for regular jewellers and craftspeople/artisans.

Similar to Medusa Im in such a niche market it doesn't seem to affect me.
    I have read plenty of threads on their forums though saying how tough the jewellery market is there.

I know I'm always banging on about it but nothing compares to Notonthehighstreet. I think they're taking over the world and are advertising on TV, in cinemas and on the London Underground from now until Christmas. If you can get your work accepted, it'll be the best thing you ever did. There's huge competition on there too and lots of imported stuff but there seem to be enough customers to go around. It's not so good for people who make one-offs though and you have to be prepared to churn out the same stuff again and again. NOTHS do turn away 80% of people who apply to join them but it's worth trying.

yeah, except NOTHS also has similar mass-produced crap as well. Not as much as Etsy, it's true, but it's there.

Blog piece is interesting but sadly nothing new with regard to Etsy. As a consumer vs a seller Etsy is to me on the downward spiral toward becoming a more "up
    market" Ebay.

Nicole Hannah (wirework artist) has two blogs worth reading with regard to Etsy. "The Hands of Handcrafted and How I Was Expelled from Etsy" from April 2012 and later "Etsy Redefines “Handmade” October 4 2013. FWIW she is also a master at using Facebook and social networking.

Shame that Etsy has gone down this route too now... I started listing stuff on there and although I do sell a few bits it's not what I hoped for, but I wasn't actually aware that they had changed their policy. I sell on my own site but it is hard to get the visitors to you amongst the millions of sellers competing for the market of course.

I was lucky enough to get accepted to NOTHS 5-6 years ago when I think it was easier to get accepted than now. I know several very talented friends (jewellers, potters etc.) who have been turned down for no apparent reason. I do really well on there and sales go up each year so in a sense I can't really complain. BUT, I also see that it has lost it's original ethos and appeal to me. No longer is it actually NOT ON THE HIGH STREET, it is full of sellers who just buy in their stock and sell it on. And the jewellery that is the most popular and sells best is pretty standard charm style stuff, run of the mill, quite unimaginative stuff and the big wholy grail is PERSONALISED..... I have found myself creating pieces that I think will sell on there with the market as it is, rather than actually work on exciting stuff that I actually want to be doing. It just isn't the right market for it I think. I find I haven't enough time to create the stuff I really want to do, but at the same time I feel I can't step back and just drop those sales. It's a bugger of a dilemma, do I take the plunge and go back to promoting myself more and work on one offs and small runs which is what I want to be doing but would probably at least for a while make my income drop, or do I carry on because it's easier? What to do?!

Like Carole I have to say that NOTHS is the best selling avenue for me, but it doesn't mean I am entirely happy with it, strangely enough. I so wish I could just sell direct and get to work on some interesting stuff rather than churn out the same stuff all the time, but hey I guess perhaps you can't have it all!

Very sad that Etsy has gone downhill, I had high hopes for it for my one off pieces!

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

I agree Carin. I decided sadly to sell my soul and concentrate on actually making a good living with Noths, rather than making more interesting one-offs which may or may not sell.

Yeah, Carole, profit is a bastard!! I'm with you, but I am still trying to combine the two, do the standard stuff on NOTHS and then do one offs on my own web site and on Etsy, when I have the time.
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com