Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine suggestions

Default Magazine suggestions

I'm toying with taking out a subscription to one or two relevant magazines...

Does anyone have any suggestions for publications that cover my esoteric (jewellery!) interests? I somehow doubt there's a Mokume Gane and Engraving Weekly, but something that discusses related techniques & pieces would be nice.

It's a bit difficult to put my finger on exactly what I *do* want, it's a lot easier to say what I don't, more's the pity.

The two that immediately spring to mind for me are Lapidary Journal/Jewellery Artist and Art Jewellery. They cover that kind of stuff, though I am not sure to the depth you'd want.
    Lucinda

Quote Originally Posted by agent_44 View Post
    The two that immediately spring to mind for me are Lapidary Journal/Jewellery Artist and Art Jewellery. They cover that kind of stuff, though I am not sure to the depth you'd want.
    You beat me to it!!

Lorraine

Thanks for that; I've been avoiding Lapidary Journal purely because I'm trying not to start on lapidary as well as everything else...!

Anyone get Metalsmith?

Heh Well, there's not a whole lot of Lapdiary in there these days hence the name change to Jewelry Artist!

Newever quite managed to buy a copy of Metalsmith, always mean to when I see it in Borders, but now that's shut down, I don't know where else would stock it locally.
    Lucinda

I've just taken out a sub with Art jewelley, 6 months just to see if they can deliver 6 mags before going for the big bucks 18 months sub.

Looking forward to it arriving in about 3 to 6 weeks? their time frame
    Neil

Lapidiary Journal isn't just rock cutting they have lots of really excellent higher level projects in silver/mized metals. Have a look at their website. Well worth the sub
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Quote Originally Posted by WitchfordSilver View Post
    I've just taken out a sub with Art jewelley, 6 months just to see if they can deliver 6 mags before going for the big bucks 18 months sub.

Looking forward to it arriving in about 3 to 6 weeks? their time frame
    I've just done exactly the same thing, hopefully it will be fab but will let you know once I have received the first copy.

I subscribe to both lapidary journal and art jewelry and I'm going to keep up my subs on both. A real mix of interesting things and and inspiring gallery pieces. I agree with Nic, have a look at the websites as they do give you a good idea of the content. I even bought some older ones from ebay. So far they're far more useful than the UK based mags I tried and will be letting my subs lapse on.

When I started my subs, the art jewelry came pretty quickly (it's only every 2 months though), but the lapidary journal was more like 8-10 weeks before I received my first copy (nice & regular now though)
    Last edited by elliboo; 21-01-2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Adding info

Well, I've just bought a couple of copies of Jewelry Artist/Lapidary Journal and I've a bid on Art Jewelry (a few days before that one ends though). The sample article on kilns on the AJ site left me cold, but perhaps my expectations are a bit high. There's some interesting projects on the JA/LJ site.

Might get a back issue of Metalsmith to see what it's like too.