Thread: How would you make this?

Default How would you make this?

I've been asked to make this bangle. I'll probably say no, but I can't work out how it's made and how the catch works. Certainly if I do take it on, it would not be a copy of this one. I think the main criteria is that it's a hinged gold bangle. Any ideas?

I'd suggest that the overall construction is probably hollow, which introduces some fun; Carles Codina has a good writeup in one of his books on drawing down square tubing with copper in the middle and then etching out the copper (stretching the inner wire to reduce the cross section is another possibility). Hinge looks installed as a solid block given the colour change on it.

The catch... Looks like a hinge pin one side, but I can't see any evidence of a release mechanism, so possibly it's detent ball arrangement so it clicks in or alternatively it relies upon the bangle tension - which would be hell on the inside edge of the hinge stop. Can't think of an alternative right now.

Thanks Peter. Those were my thoughts too. I'm definitely going to say no. Wish I had the time to play around with more challenging things but sadly I don't. If anyone fancies taking it on, let me know.