Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rivets Rivets Rivets...

Default Rivets Rivets Rivets...

Hello!
    Am I geting something drastically wrong or is there a special technique to rivetting that I havent discovered yet? All my rivets seem to lean over to the side no matter which angle I hit it from. I use a ball pein hamer and a rivet hammer, drill and countersink but they still look drunk! Any ideas?
    Thanks!

Use remarkably little force, a light hammer, work slowly and gradually shape the rivet working around the edges is what works for me.

A rivet set can help to tidy up the final shape, too; they're easy enough to make.

Is it possible that your rivets are sitting to far out of the surface of your piece, hence bending to the side? You need a remarkably short tip sitting proud of the surface.
    Linda

are they a tight fit Hannah

Sounds like there's a frog on the loose "Rivet rivet"

Could you be making them to long, allowing them to lean over?
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
    are they a tight fit Hannah
    Am doing trial and error pieces with rivets too and found that this is essential! Both tight in the hole through any metal and/or through any beads if being attached (e.g. spinner rings - if the bead rattles around too much on the bar/tube then the bar/tube will bend inside the bead when tapped).

Hmm, no the last ones I did were a little loose as I broke my drill bit and didnt have a spare! I think I need to experiment with shorter wire as well by the sound of it. Ta very much!

Default Rivets

Traditionally rivets are made so that the part projecting is the same length as the diameter of the wire used. A cup burr that just fits is brilliant for rounding the finished end and will disguise a slight bend to a degree. Also bear in mind that it is sometimes safer to use very thin tubing because you only need to insert a scriber and wiggle it to spread the end. Kind regards Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
    thanks for the reply, do you know of any good online tutorials for tube rivets? I tried before and only managed to either split the tube or not get much movement in the metal- is that due to the wall thickness of the tube? (or am I just too weak?!)
    Sorry for all the questions but lots of my ideas involve rivets but i cant seem to master it with any degree of accuracy or uniformity.
    Many thanks for the replies

Did you anneal the tube really well first Hannah? It makes a big difference