Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you make something like this?

Default How would you make something like this?

Just curious as to different ways you might come up with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That particular one looks like a cast mass produced setting and then glued in.

I would make it with a thick "D" wire bent into the shape, then put a back on it.

I think enigma's answer is the valid one. It looks very much as if it is glued into a casting. If it's not glued, what is holding the stone in, because it doesn't look as if the metal is?

You could reproduce this sort of thing by careful fabrication of a bezel, and by moving metal over a stone rather than gluing it in, but it would take considerably longer, require considerably more skill, and it would need to be made clear to any buyer who quibbled when you charged more than £14.95 that the two are alike as chalk and cheese.

It's the failure to recognize the crucial difference between these sorts of superficially similar entities that leads to craftspeople getting frustrated that they can't find buyers who will pay even the bare cost of making their painstakingly handcrafted merchandise. I mention this for your sake chiefly, Patstone.

I hate the bail as well. It is totally redundant and turns the whole thing into a dogs dinner. Dennis.

I have an order for one, not exactly the same but based on this I was thinking of using sheet for the top part and making the setting at the bottom from wire, just wondered what you would suggest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was to make one, then I would go with D-wire as Patstone suggests.

Have the flat faces of the D inwards and make a loop, that closes together with both flat faces meeting to form the handle of the tennis racket (it so appears to me!). I'm not sure it has a back; if so then flatten one face; if not you might need both apices of the D in order to hold the cab.

Dennis hit the nail on the head, regarding the bail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I hate the bail as well. It is totally redundant
    I don't really understand, Dennis. How is the bail totally redundant? If the chain was threaded directly through the very small closed ring at the top of the pendant, certain chains would always want to twist the pendant sideways when you wore it.

My point is that the bail is large and ugly and totally upstages the pendant, Mark. A discrete piece of tubing connected directly, or by two small links would be sufficient, I think. Dennis.

If you block the picture and remove the bail and the ring part then the shape is quite nice. It's too cluttered at the top of the tear drop and would need something really simple to put the chain through. The bail isn't in proportion to the pendant and distracts from the Amber which does look glued