Thread: Chenier Cutters

Default Chenier Cutters

My daughter has just bought a tube cutter and has found that it is definately a right handed tool and very difficult to use with the left hand. Does anyone know if they are actually made for left handed people as she is struggling a bit.

What type of tube cutter did she buy? I bought several before I found one that worked well and I'm right handed! Maybe the basic joint filing tool would work better for her?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Hi Pat,

if it is the ordinary cutter with the lever, you can add a rubber band to it to hold the tubing in place in place and then turn it around. I use it that way without any problems for the occasional lefty when my right arm's tennis elbow flares up. It works pretty well.

Attached are a couple of pics (with tubing being held in place) in case I make no sense whatso ever! The cutter has the facility to have left or right as the cutting bit for the blade to go in goes all the way. I do have other cutters, but this I leave with the band in - it is useful this way with either right or left hand use.

Attachment 4176
    Attachment 4177
    Last edited by Wallace; 05-01-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: extra info

I have to admit that I never use either of my chenier cutters any more - I just don't find them accurate enough. I much prefer a mitre jig, which lets me file as well as cut perfectly and holds a much better range of stock, including flat as well as round and tube.

Cousins now stock them very inexpensively.

Thanks I will look on the cousins website. Hers is like the one that Wallace has.

As far as accuracy of cut is concerned, this can be greatly improved by adjusting the gap to fit your favourite saw blade. If you temporarily remove the outer plate, there are some spacers which can be measured and rubbed down to do this.

This simple and less expensive version would suit left handed people: http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...nt+filing+tool and can also be used when filing the end flush. The only problem is that the holding screw can leave a mark and will need polishing. Dennis.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I have the chenier cutter, which is fantastic! But sometimes I get the little jig out as above. I don't have many probs with it as I always mark where I intend to cut and keep my blade to the same side. That little screw version, I also have - but find it useless at the best of times as that little mark is really noticeable.

anyhoo, Ihave taken far too much of you good folks time. I hope your New Year has started well.

kindest,

Wallace

As Dennis says, a plain joint filing tool should suit left handers. During my apprenticeship some 50 years ago I had to make my own joint filing tool as part of my training, the first one I made by using the tang of an old large flat file. I made my second one using a piece of ground flat stock steel. They are as good today as when I made them and they have been used many hundred of times when making box and easter egg joints (hinges) also hinged picture frame stands etc.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joint filing tools.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	4178

Thanks James, I will show her your pictures. She already has a cutter but as I said it is not for lefties. Wallace came up with an idea of holding it with rubber bands which I think would work well for her.