Thread: Working In Metal And Working With Wood.

Default Working In Metal And Working With Wood.

Here is that phrase again: ‘our class project for this term’. OCPFTT was to make some jewellery inspired by the sculpture of Barbara Hepworth, following the stunning exhibition of her work at Tate Britain this summer.

Rather than make an abstract sculpture, I settled for the letter S, which is the initial of one of my clients and could be worn as a pendant or a charm.

First I carved one from 3.0mm silver sheet and then tried my hand at wood as well. A tutor once told me that you can work in metal, but you must work with wood, meaning that you must take account of its grain.

Sure enough the first attempt with wood came to grief when it suddenly fell apart, so I tried again with a laminated key tag I had been hoarding from a visit to a craft fair. You will note that I did not make it that thin. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Term 1, 2015-16.jpg  

They're both beautiful Dennis. I especially love the stripes in the wood and the pointed bits of the 'S' !
    Jules

I quite like working with wood dennis, last year i took it upon myself to restore a straight razor and spent a lot of time with a piece of rosewood. Every time I use the razor I remember the smell of carving it.

Thank you Jules, Sam and Sarah. I do enjoy working with wood, although I believe the dust from hard wood can be toxic. One of my favourite smells is from a newly opened box of pencils. Dennis.

I love a good initial necklace and those are indeed good!

I feel your wood pain - I always expect to be able to file/burr/saw it like metal and it never works! Well done making such a fiddly shape out of it.

Gorgeous Dennis, really love the contrast of the two materials in the same design!

Thank you, Lauren and Jill.