Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gallery won't use my name!!!

Default Gallery won't use my name!!!

Hi everyone,
    Sorry about this being long winded but i hope someone can help me!

i've had my jewellery in a gallery since july and have sold a few bits and got a couple of comissions, but my problem is the owner will not display my name with my jewellery!!
    i'm not looking for star billing or anything i just would like my name mentioned on my display. Other things they are displaying have the makers/artists name on, but for some reason i can't!
    when i mentioned this in the beginning they said that if people ask they will tell them which is how i have got the comissions but i feel i would like to have this recognition, especially as others now have their names show.Last time i topped up the display i put a very discreet name plaque on the back of my display (as it is in the window) but this has been removed.
    How can i over come this without losing my chance to display???????????????
    Bridget x x

Never be afraid to try something new,remember amateurs built the Ark,
    professionals built the Titanic!!!

http://www.rusticcharmjewellery.co.uk

Well that doesn't sound right! They've given you no reason as to why? Its a tough one because you seem to be getting the commissions. Me? I'd throw a wobbly and tell them to stuff it - but that's not what I suggest you do.

Maybe somebody less pig-headed than me will have a better idea.
    Di x

sorry me pig headed to

I'd suggest you research other galleries and see if they will take your jewellery with your name displayed and then use that as a bargaining tool with gallery no 1. That way, you might get your jewellery into another gallery as well, or if gallery no 1 won't change their mind, you could use gallery 2 to display your jewellery if they agree to it.

The other thing is maybe discreetly approach the other people who do have their names displayed (if you think you can trust them?) and see how they approached the name thing??

The other thing is, is that the gallery owner who said no to you, or the person who 'does' in the gallery? Perhaps you could say you're reviewing the situation with them and you've had offers from elsewhere that will display your name and why won't they? Sometimes a bit of bluffing works, sometimes it doesn't .... so if you research the other galleries you might get lucky with both??

Hope that helps let us know how you get on.
    Jules

Maybe try a different tack and ask them what criteria you need to meet in order to display your own details as other artists do. I know you don't want to loose the opportunity but it's worth remembering that they are getting kudos out of each sale and commission as well, it will be their name that will get mentioned when people comment on one of your pieces. The other suggestion is to find out who their main competitior is, if they have one, and arrange an appointment with them. If they think you are having success then they may be more flexible in offering you a deal to tempt you away.

Try not to let it get you down, your work is selling, you are getting commissions so your are doing somethiing right.

Remember how frustrated you feel now and when you've grown too big for them you can take great pleasure in telling them why they are not good enough to house your work.
    Annie xXx

All things are possible - if you look at them the right way!

Do you mean they won't use any name at all or just a business name?

I have a few pieces in a gallery in Harrogate and they will use my name but not Elel Jewellery. The jewellery in the gallery is also sold through their website and I can see how they don't want to compete with my website.

they won't use any name at all!!
    Bridget x x

Never be afraid to try something new,remember amateurs built the Ark,
    professionals built the Titanic!!!

http://www.rusticcharmjewellery.co.uk

Their attitude makes no sense to me at all, surely it would be to their advantage to promote the items as individually handcrafted designer jewellery, I think that you may have to have "diva" moment !

Thats a bit tough- should be one rule to cover all! You could point out having a designers name is a good selling point. But on the whole I agree with approaches above, they seem dilpomatic. If that doesn't work, send in the Cookson girlz (thats is ladies )
    Em