Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sparex

Default sparex

Can anyone tell me where i can get sparex pickel.
    Thanks philip

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Hi Philip, is there a reason you want Sparex?

It is a US product, available from Rio Grande.

You could always use Alum. It is available readily online, even eBay at a low cost. It works so very well too.
    Last edited by Wallace; 16-04-2015 at 08:22 AM. Reason: iPad retypo

According to the msds, it's sodium metabisulphate, which is readily available as ph minus. Or dry acid
    You can get it for about £1/ kg in 25kg tubs if you search around. It's not the same as bisulphITE.

Thanks for that Wallace I carefully hoarded my alum powder which is what I used after college not wanting holes clothes from sulphuric acid! I've been unable to source it since and have been using the various Cookson brands that I don't find particularly great

Sparex is commonly used as a pickle in the USA, as its primary use is for adjustment of acidity in swimming baths and so is cheaply available from local stores.

There is no reason to bother with it here as safety pickle as sold by jewelers suppliers has a similar effect.
    If you use alum as suggested by Wallace, it needs to be a little hotter to act quickly, but the result is very pretty and clean looking. It is also available in some Indian grocery stores.

Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    There is no reason to bother with it here as safety pickle as sold by jewelers suppliers has a similar effect.
    Other than the price issue, of course. I've got to make up a larger quantity of pickle than usual for pickling some vessels, so I've bought a load of pH minus. More than I need at the moment, admittedly... Couldn't find it as low as £1/kg, but £2/kg delivered (inc VAT) is good enough for now.

I don't much like citric acid or alum personally, and if it weren't for the storage & transport options I'd just use 10% sulphuric acid.

Peter, I bought 2 x 25Kg from here, with free (but not quick) delivery

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

Dennis.
    Except possibly that picklean is £20.08 for 500g plus £5.40 carriage (£25.48), and dry acid is £22 for 50 times that amount (25kg), including delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by trialuser View Post
    Peter, I bought 2 x 25Kg from here, with free (but not quick) delivery
    Ach, that's galling. Never mind - I'll console myself with "now, cheap and right - pick 2". I've gone for now & right
    Next time, however...

One thing though - 50kg of the stuff? That's a *lot* of pickle.

Wow, 50Kg is a lot! Unless you split it with someone perhaps.